Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

American Innovation Dollar Mintages

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 36 / Views: 1,115Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community
United States
840 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2020  9:50 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Looking at the total mintage for the latest reverse proof, 50,000 with no order limit, that's down from 75,000 last year. Being that all five of the 2019's are still available, I'm curious, how low do you suppose the number will go? I also assume the figures are similar across the board with the other finishes as well. This is an obvious flop of a program by the mint. However, with the quarter program's end on the horizon, I see the mint adding these as a third lens replacement with mint and proof sets to avoid a price decrease. Yet I buy them for what they are none the less.
ANA member
PAN Member

there's no problems only solutions - the late, great John Lennon
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10663 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2020  12:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was never a fan of this series for many reasons. Though now that I have a few of the RPs I do like the designs and they definitely look sharp in RP.

One point of order... there are only 4 2019s. Unlike the ATB and Statehood programs, they're only releasing 4 a year vs 5. That amounts to a 14-year program instead of 11 and change. 14, that is, if it lasts that long.

What about 3" versions of these? If not, the mint has a very expensive press sitting idle once the ATB program is over.
Valued Member
United States
79 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2020  05:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SensibleSal66 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is this the New CT Dollars ?
Pillar of the Community
United States
2496 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2020  07:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The innovation proof dollars are the biggest sellers. That's the one I'm collecting, buying the reverse proof or circulation strike for a non circulation coin I thought was silly. I personally like the series but I'm only buying the proofs. Last I checked the proofs sold over 200k sets comparable to the regular and silver proof sets.
Pillar of the Community
United States
840 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2020  12:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks guys. I'm learning a few things. One, a great point after the ATB program and the press. Also, the mintage of proof vs the others. As a whole, the program has an appeal to me personally in all finishes. Just as all those quarter dollars since 1999. I simply think that the United States Mint could have done better implementing the program in many ways. A starting point would be to end the federal reserve note so these circulate followed by more aggressive marketing.
ANA member
PAN Member

there's no problems only solutions - the late, great John Lennon
Pillar of the Community
United States
754 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2020  6:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wyzeguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wonder if the price hike had anything to do with the decrease in sales, thus, decrease in mintage. We'll find out in two weeks how well the proof set does. As of now I'm all in on both the proof and RP.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3450 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2020  09:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BStrauss3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
20+ years on people forget the huge wave of publicity that attended the launch of the 50SQ program. They sent educational materials to schools, sold collectors folders in bookstores (you remember those, right)?

It would not be outlandish to think that had some impact on people becoming collectors, some % of which stuck it out through the series.

When they introduced the Presidential dollars they followed some of the same playbook, but less intense.

With the AI$ program, um?

-----Burton
46 year / Life ANA member (joined 12/1/1973)
Life member: Numismatics International, CONECA
Member: TNA, FtWCC, NETCC
Owned by four cats and a wife of 35 years (joined 1983)
Pillar of the Community
United States
1185 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2020  3:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I started on the reverse proofs, I've been on the fence with continuing since the price hike.

Still I think the set might have a niche at some point after it's completed and done down the line and maybe some scarcity when they crank out the heavy populated states and we see how those designs perform on sales. best case they keep reducing the production, then hit a populous state with higher demand for the coin design and it creates demand for other lower mintage designs.

As it stands there's now a possible 25k sets that can't be completed entirely since they reduced the mintage for 2020. that pretty much kills the value of the RP introductory coin and the 2019s with so many "extras". they likely will sell them to dealers at a discount rather than scrap them, and HSN will foist them on the unsuspecting.
Learn More...
United States
91109 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2020  3:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am buying the regular proof sets each year, but so far have only bought the initial reverse proof release. I cannot justify the cost and then having to store the individual issues in their OGP .
Valued Member
United States
79 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2020  11:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SensibleSal66 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey , how can I buy just a few coins instead of a roll from the Mint ?
Edited by SensibleSal66
09/30/2020 11:02 am
Learn More...
United States
91109 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2020  11:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I rely on a coin show dealer who buys bags/rolls from the mint and sells them individually.
Pillar of the Community
United States
754 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2020  2:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wyzeguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Hey , how can I buy just a few coins instead of a roll from the Mint ?

Your LCS, coin show (if there any going on) or ebay.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1557 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2020  8:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bret to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Since the mint has completed minting all of the 2018 & 2019 uncirculated Innovation Dollars, it would be interesting to know what the actual mintages are. It's obvious that they minted too many. Perhaps they'll adjust this year and we'll end up with some decently low mintages.
15 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2020  04:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 2CentSal to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm with Brett on this subject .
Pillar of the Community
United States
2496 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2020  07:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You can see the sales here:

https://www.usmint.gov/about/produc...lative-sales

Search for AI
Learn More...
United States
91109 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2020  10:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Perhaps they'll adjust this year and we'll end up with some decently low mintages.
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 36 / Views: 1,115Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.78 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05