Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1984 Lincoln Error Penny - Large Obverse Rim Error?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 420Next Topic  
United States
43 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2020  12:39 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Rosalita to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi guys,

I have this 1984 Lincoln Penny with a large error on the obverse rim (left). Can some explain what this is and how this happens?

Pillar of the Community
United States
744 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2020  2:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add josephm99 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a relatively large rim cud. Nice find!

A cud forms when the edge of the die breaks off.
Learn More...
United States
17469 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2020  2:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks a little like a later stage of #44, but perhaps someone else can help confirm whether this cud is listed yet.

http://cuds-on-coins.com/lincoln-cent-cuds-1984/

Nice find!
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Bedrock of the Community
United States
36135 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2020  5:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Rim CUD with a BIG fingerprint
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2486 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2020  5:14 pm  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's also slightly misaligned towards the K:4 position. I've seen rim cuds that were accentuated because of this. It's like the rim has cuds that really can't be seen unless the coin was struck with a misaligned die. Has anyone else noticed this?
The first US coin motto was found on a 1792 half disme and read: "LIB (erty) PAR (ent) OF SCIENCE & INDUSTRY"

Valued Member
United States
223 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2020  5:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add HGK3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Based on it's length, small depth and slightly jagged borders I'm leaning more towards a folded rim fin rather than a cud.

Still nice to find, either way.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3550 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2020  11:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Valued Member
United States
321 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2020  12:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sheldius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm with Greasyfingers and HGK3. I'd think folded over rim fin.
Valued Member
United States
79 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2020  01:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SensibleSal66 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Edited by SensibleSal66
09/29/2020 01:46 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
1393 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2020  01:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Daves Errors to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think I am gonna have to agree with HGK3 on this one. Can you get closer pics might be easer to tell. Also see if you can push it up using a toothpick.
Edited by Daves Errors
09/29/2020 01:56 am
Valued Member
United States
79 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2020  02:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SensibleSal66 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
what's HGK3 ?
United States
42 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2020  11:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Altec12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What is K-4 position mean. I see the area in question, I'm just uninformed as to the K-4's lable.
Thanks
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2486 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2020  12:20 pm  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm sorry! I usually explain the terminology I use. The K:4 position would be the same as saying 4 O'clock position. The K followed by a number from 1 to 12 uses the numbers on a clock face as a reference to the position on the coin. Your coin's obverse die looks like it was shifted slightly towards that area.

While it could be a flattened rim fin as the others have said, I still think it's a rim cud. I have an 1881 nickel IIIó piece with almost exactly the same look. It's even shifted to the K:4 position. You can find images of my coin here. http://goccf.com/t/358518
The first US coin motto was found on a 1792 half disme and read: "LIB (erty) PAR (ent) OF SCIENCE & INDUSTRY"

Pillar of the Community
United States
1393 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2020  1:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Daves Errors to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sal66: READ my post then look at the user names
Edited by Daves Errors
09/29/2020 1:27 pm
United States
43 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2020  2:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rosalita to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi guys,

Here are the close up photo's of this error:

Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 420Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.62 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05