Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Double Die Vs. Machine Doubling

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 337Next Topic  

United States
8 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2020  02:07 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Stanster to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
hello all, new to the forum. part time enthusiast. cant type, cant spell consistently (never mind spell check works) so bear with me.
I've been collecting some coins for a little while and have some rookie questions. are both of these coins machined doubling? thank you all for your input. I'm on the west coast so I will look at your response in the A.M. Wednesday.

Valued Member
United States
79 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2020  02:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SensibleSal66 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes. Machine Doubling on both. Great educational tools !
http://doubleddie.com/144801.html

Edited by SensibleSal66
09/30/2020 02:39 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
3767 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2020  04:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Machine Doubling on the 68, lighting glare doubling on the 69.

Please, in future postings, we ask for one coin per thread. That makes it easier for us to respond. Thanks.

to the CCF! We look forward to seeing more of your coins!

ša va bien aller
Valued Member
United States
79 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2020  04:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SensibleSal66 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey merclover, thanks on the 1969 . I wasn't sure of the correct terminology .
Edited by SensibleSal66
09/30/2020 04:37 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
3767 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2020  04:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Why yes, yes it is!
ša va bien aller
Bedrock of the Community
United States
36046 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2020  04:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. Agreed.MD on the 68 and light induced doubling on the 69. http://goccf.com/t/51410
http://koinpro.tripod.com/Articles/...Doubling.htm
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Learn More...
United States
17399 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2020  06:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First, welcome to CCF. Second, that is a fabulous example of MD on the '68.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4427 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2020  06:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scopru to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
with spence. Great example on the '68.
Member: ANA and NGC
My Want list: http://goccf.com/t/188411
Valued Member
United States
238 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2020  09:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smat45 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Pretty darn good pics for a rookie...better than anything I've posted...lol
Thanks for sharing and look fwd to more!
smat
United States
8 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2020  11:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Stanster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks to everyone. I will only post one coin at a time for future inquiries.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
46663 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2020  1:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
On your first image, I call that push doubling. It is a form of Machine Doubling pushes the devices to extend outside of the normal base of the devices. It appears that is not only pushed in one direction, it also flatten the devices in a different direction of the normal base of the devices.

Normally we see the devices pushed inwards on the devices in one direction:

But on your coin it appears the the die dropped down and moved the metal (SW) outside the base of the normal location. But there are many forms of Machine Doubling, including ejection doubling, high bounce doubling as well as the classic Machine Doubling. The clue to look for on these, it to note how the devices look like pushed snow. (raised above the normal heigth of the devices.

1968-1972 cents had a lot of Machine Doubling.

Note the push on the last image raised the pushed area higher than the devices. If you see that happening, that is Machine Doubling. Machine Doubling also affects doubled dies as well.

Note the fully doubled date devices? Now note the yellow arrows? That is showing where Machine Doubling altered the devices. But consider, how only one area and direction is seen when this happens. Also consider how on Machine Doubling only affects the outside edges of devices. The spread on a doubled die is seen on the center of the devices. With either a line, or a spread that is seen on the centers of the devices on a doubled die:

Seeing the devices side by side helps you to see how the devices are enlarged/not enlarged.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
United States
8 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2020  01:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Stanster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Darn snow plow machines , I should change my user name to California dreaming.. as I have so many of these types of pennies, you wont see me again until July...just kidding, disappointed, but trying to be funny at the same time. Thank everyone a lot for the learning experience. I appreciate your time and knowledge. I hope to post something more substantial when I find a coin (s) more worthy. Again Thanks
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
46663 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2020  6:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looking forward to it. When you do find it, it will leap out at you. You won't even be in doubt. You won't question us, but you will show proudly the doubled die you found. There will be no question in your mind then.

You will be as excited as this guy then.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
10/02/2020 7:17 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 337Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.73 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05