Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Hammered Coin, Possibly British, Possibly Reproduction?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 478Next Topic  
Valued Member
United Kingdom
195 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2020  2:43 pm Show Profile   Check Cointosser77's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add Cointosser77 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Here I have a hammered coin, it is very dark and quite thin I think it is silver, it does leave a mark and the edge comes out as shiny silver when rubbing the edge on paper. It has some RR counter stamped on it which makes me think it is some kind of reproduction or whatnot? Any idea what this could be?

Added info:
It weighs 2 grams and is ca 21mm in diameter, also it has a slight wobble to it
it is ca 1mm or slightly less than 1mm thick

scans:

more photos

Edited by Cointosser77
10/10/2020 3:12 pm
Learn More...
United States
17433 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2020  2:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@ct77, the soft, grainy detail make me think it is a repro also, but I'm going to move this over to the medieval section of CCF so that we can get some more eyes on it. In the meanwhile, can you please add the weight to this thread? Thx.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Valued Member
United Kingdom
195 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2020  3:13 pm  Show Profile   Check Cointosser77's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Cointosser77 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Spence, I have added more info and more photos now
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3862 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2020  9:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bumping this up, but also guessing this is a half groat (dimensions are a match) of Henry IV (legends also look like a match or nearly so).
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces166601.html

A real UK expert (I am certainly not) should be able to nail this.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
17431 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2020  11:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looking at the surface texture and indistinct detail,
I think it is a repro, but I have to admit:
I am a learner on this one as well.

Very even thickness of the flan can give rise to questionable authenticity.
I do know that there are a few fakes of English hammered out there.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2137 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2020  7:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thq to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The soft outlines of the lettering and bust make it look cast. Not as sharply outlined as real ones. Maybe it's really bad corrosion or encrustation, but it looks awfully uniform.

The lettering is so mushy and dark I can't read it. The inner circle on the reverse should read CIVITAS LONDON.

Henry IV half groats are very rare, so probably a repro. Edward III are much more common and look similar.
"Two minutes ago I would have sold my chances for a tired dime." Fred Astaire
Edited by thq
10/17/2020 7:31 pm
Learn More...
Australia
13446 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2020  10:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The two incuse "R"s stamped into it clearly mark it as a reproduction.

Quote:
The inner circle on the reverse should read CIVITAS LONDON.

The mint-name appears to be VILLA CALIS - Calais mint.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Pillar of the Community
United States
2137 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2020  3:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thq to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's a real Henry VI Calais half groat that looks remarkably similar, with the same kind of rounding of all the lettering and devices, probably from water wear.

https://www.colonialcollectables.co...-calais.html
Edited by thq
10/19/2020 3:32 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1375 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2020  5:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gincoin43 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Here's a real Henry VI Calais half groat that looks remarkably similar,

That one is counterstamped RL or possibly RRL. The R looks to be identical to this one.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3862 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2020  8:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I guess the photos in the link to this second "coin" make that counterstamp easier to see. For the life of me, I could not see it on the OP's coin, but now realize it is at 1:00 to 2:00

Yep. Repro. The mismatch of the beaded inner circle around 6:00-7:00 is the same on both.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2137 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2020  1:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thq to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Finally! A real one, though it is a full groat. Just sold for $140 on CNG.

https://auctions.cNGCoins.com/lots/...ck-1422-1430

Much sharper than the two half groat replicas.
Edited by thq
10/21/2020 1:08 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 478Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.62 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05