Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Remove Residue On Medal

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 751Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
Lebanon
235 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2020  09:30 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add chronos to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello ,
How I can remove this residue on this medal due to this foam paper
The medal was left for years, the paper was on the medal in the box

Edited by chronos
10/17/2020 09:31 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
5429 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2020  09:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mcshilling to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You will need to find 100% acetone, usually from a hardware store.
Valued Member
United States
198 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2020  09:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MOS0239 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hmmmm, that stuff might be baked into the surface. "Maybe" a little acetone. "WAIT" for other to reply with feedback.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
51322 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2020  09:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree, that green color is worrisome.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2422 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2020  09:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That looks more like verdigris than PVC damage, in which case acetone won't help. It certainly doesn't hurt to try that first, but I suspect it won't do anything.
Valued Member
Lebanon
235 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2020  10:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chronos to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is a surface from the paper itself that sticked on it ,Is it safe to use acetone on bronze ? Because it is a bronze medal.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4920 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2020  10:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
That looks more like verdigris than PVC damage, in which case acetone won't help. It certainly doesn't hurt to try that first, but I suspect it won't do anything.

Start one step at a time with what would do the least harm to the medal if it were the wrong treatment.

1. Acetone
2. Soap, distilled water and VERY gentle manipulation with a Q-Tip.
3. Wait for further suggestions.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Valued Member
United States
220 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2020  11:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add HGK3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The only thing I'd add to the discussion is that the proper order of solvents to try in order of polarity is:

1. Distilled water
2. Acetone
3. Xylene

All three are safe for use with bronze, but sadly if the reaction is PVC related, which appears likely, none of these will effectively remove it. Verdi Care is a product that has some effectiveness against PVC residue but is sometimes difficult to find.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6635 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2020  2:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Although I have no personal experience with it, I have read on this forum that copper coins could pick up a slight pink tint when acetone is used IN DIRECT SUNLIGHT. Otherwise acetone is safe. I understand bronze is an alloy, but just thought I would mention this.

Personally I would try the hot soapy water, then acetone, then xylene.
- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Prosp long and liver.
Valued Member
United States
198 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2020  7:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MOS0239 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It is a surface from the paper itself that sticked on it

This isn't paper.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
51322 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2020  7:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What shows on the medal's surface looks much different than the color of the cloth. I fear that moisture accumulated between the surfaces, creating a corrosive chemical reaction with the copper.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19684 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2020  08:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not sure what is available over there but if you can find Acetone, try that first. However, there is a good chance the damage is done to the metal so in that case not much can help.

Quote:
Although I have no personal experience with it, I have read on this forum that copper coins could pick up a slight pink tint when acetone is used IN DIRECT SUNLIGHT. Otherwise acetone is safe. I understand bronze is an alloy, but just thought I would mention this.

Personally I would try the hot soapy water, then acetone, then xylene.

for one thing, never, ever use soapy water. With out knowing what that water really is you could end up with even more damage.
And that old wives tale of how Acetone effects Copper. I read that same silly stuff a long time ago. I put Copper coins in a jar filled with Acetone and put it in direct Sunlight for a few weeks. Nothing happened. Maybe I was using the wrong Sun.
just carl
Valued Member
Lebanon
235 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2020  2:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chronos to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@coinfrog I think you are right ,because the cloth was on the medal found with rot on its box.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16977 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2020  9:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The one thing that worries me is the medal appears to have a surface treatment such as a lacquer or other coating that may react with the acetone.
Gary Schmidt
Valued Member
Lebanon
235 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2020  05:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chronos to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I put few acetone drop to test it if it work, I found something was wrong , I removed them it left a white patch on the medal .What to do know ?! it is possible to remove it
:(

Edited by chronos
10/20/2020 05:29 am
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
17431 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2020  08:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It seems to me that the soft sponge cloth that has been in contact with the medal, and was enclosed with the coin in the box, may have had some moisture in it.

Some of that green tinge looks like minor verdigris damage.
I can only agree with some of the suggestions so far, that have been put forward:
1. gentle rubbing with a Q-tip dipped in acetone,
2. gentle rubbing with a Q-tip soaked in distilled water, then dry thoroughly.

If it is verdigris, neither of the above treatments will help much.

If it is verdigris, it may be worth doing a Google search on how museums conserve and protect copper and bronze objects that have been affected by verdigris attack. there will be risks in whatever procedure you may adopt.
Potential risks involving verdigris passivation may deter you from adopting any of the suggested museum procedures.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 751Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.58 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05