Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Sending High Value Coins For Certification To ICCS

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 645Next Topic  
Canada
3 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2020  10:55 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add swabiwal to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi, I need suggestions from you folks regarding sending high value coins for certification to ICCS.My concern is lost or stolen mail or not received kind of things as the coins are more than 5K each.
Even if I buy insurance,I think there is a limit on insurance like 2K something.What to do in such situation.
Thanks in Advance.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19684 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2020  08:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Difficult for me to say since I have no slabbed coins and don't ever want any. But to each their own. If I was going to send anything in the mail I'd wait until all this vote by mail stuff is over. Way to much stuff happening in the mail now.
just carl
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
51307 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2020  09:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry, not familiar with Canadian mail options, so can't help.

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
United States
553 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2020  10:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add twslisa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How close are you to ICCS's headquarters? If it's a day trip—even a really long day trip—it might be worth the drive. I'm glad ANACs is in Denver. If I ever get around to having a few unslabbed coins worth grading I'll just walk them in.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2428 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2020  7:56 pm  Show Profile   Check Wade's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Wade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
even if it costs a plane ticket & you made arrangements for "same day" service I think it would be worth it vs sending multiple $5k coins by any 3rd party delivery.

you might ask a mod to move this to the Canadian section where people with more ICCS experience could chime in
Learn More...
United States
91042 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2020  12:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
you might ask a mod to move this to the Canadian section where people with more ICCS experience could chime in
Done.
Valued Member
Canada
384 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2020  08:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silver101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I used to send things to ICCS through a dealer I know. He would just add my stuff to what he was taking already and he always drops off and picks up in person. He charged me for it but, since my coins were part of a bigger shipment, we got the lowest bulk rate so the savings more than made up for it.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3206 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2020  08:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ICCS is in Toronto, and they used to attend all the larger shows in the T.O. area. With the shows closed due to the Covid, there are no shows. I would wait until this Covid mess is all over and things open up. Then try to find a major dealer in your area and give the coins to him to hand-carry to the show and hand them over. I have never sent in a high-priced coin through the mail here in Canada, because you have to put on the insurance sticker what is inside. I think that is just an invitation for someone to 5-finger it. When I send coins in the mail here (not high-cost ones) I mark down that they are planchets or discs or washers. I'm not sure you can do that with high-value insurance. I know lots of collectors who send stuff to ICCS or PCGS through the mail with no problem. If you are collecting high-grade coins, I would highly suggest that you get your own personal insurance policy up here in Canada. Hugh Wood does this for all the collectors that I know and it's very cheap and in Toronto. Here is a link for availability https://www.rcna.ca/insurance.php . Brian Cornwell of ICCS may have a suggestion as well ... he's very good with collectors and available by phone.

I just looked and saw that you were on the W Coast. There is a major coin dealer in your area. I would contact them and have them hand-carry to the next show that they will attend.
Edited by okiecoiner
10/24/2020 6:24 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1602 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2020  11:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add papeldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the site.
If you are grading a large amount of coins worth that kind of money I would fly to Toronto and hand them in for grading personally and wait the couple days and fly home with them.

I have tried to mail coins to auction Houses Canada Post, Fedex, or UPS won't take them if you tell them its coins they say its against the law in Canada, yet Auction Houses do it all the time.

I have sent coins in the mail for grading to the US and Canada for grading by sending it Xpress Post with a tracking # and signature when it arrives at its distension. if going to USA I put down Tokens in Canada you only have to declare that there is nothing dangerous in the package.
It has worked good for me in the last 4 years never lost a package as of yet.
Good Luck what ever way you go
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1601 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2020  5:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Smallcentguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would use Fedex. They are highly reliable and will not leave the package unless it is signed for. I have never had an issue with them, even with cross border submissions, which is also a little tricky when it comes to how to describe the contents in an appropriate way so it will not attract inappropriate duty. I just Fedexed some coins last week to PCGS, using the harmonized code 9705, the declared value and the description "goods for return". It sailed through without duty and made it safely to PCGS.
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 645Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.52 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05