Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1982 Philadelphia Small Date Lincoln Penny

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 491Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
67 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2020  02:05 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add hodi to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

. Ok, so we already determined that this was a Philadelphia minted penny, but can I ask this please. Now be nice, I am just looking for an answer to a question. Now what if I was say positive that I knew the. D had been ground off, like say I did it myself or I knew who did, anything, just positive, now If it was your coin in this situation what would you do. I know they can get serial numbers that have been scratched offf but would probably damage the coin. It looks like it's been cleaned anyway. So if it was you would you do anything? If so what? I hope I didn't screw this up!!
Valued Member
United States
64 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2020  03:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Altec12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Um, not sure what you are asking or what your goal is.
Yes from the image you posted it appears to be a small date, minted in Philadelphia.
If it had a D for mint mark, and it was removed, then what you actually have is a 1982 D small date with post mint damage where the D was removed.
Why you or whoever would want to remove the D mint mark makes no sense since you basically took the time and energy to grind the D off of a coin worth one penny in hopes of producing if 100% successful a coin worth one penny baffles me.

All of the 1982 pennies are worth face value with the exception of the 1982 D small date copper coin, which brings a huge premium. So if I am understanding your thought of altering a regular 1 cent coin in hopes of turning into a gold mine, you would have to start with a copper small date Philadelphia penny and add the D. and good luck with that.

So to answer your question about what I would do with the penny you posted, I would spend it. And try to figure out another get rich quick plan, that doesn't involve minting coins.
Valued Member
United States
67 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2020  03:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hodi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No nothing like that, it already weighs 3.1 grams. I can see where the picture can't quite what's the word I'm looking for? Portray what you can see with a loop. It would be worth trying to follow up on if that were the case. Why someone would do that I don't know, I was going to ask if Denver might have caught some and did it like they did the VDB.
Pillar of the Community
United States
528 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2020  04:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lcutler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't know what you mean about the VDB, but there is no chance the mint would have taken the time to grind the mint mark off struck coins. Just a normal Philadelphia minted coin.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
52071 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2020  08:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Still unsure of your question.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2027 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2020  09:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, I'm a tad confused.

Whatever might/could have happened or did happen, I'd follow my conscience. I'd be ethical.
Edited by ijn1944
10/23/2020 10:01 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2539 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2020  11:37 am  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry, you lost me. I'm interested in understanding what you are asking, but I have no idea what the question is. Maybe you can explain what the Denver mint did with the VDB as a starting point.
The first US coin motto was found on a 1792 half disme and read: "LIB (erty) PAR (ent) OF SCIENCE & INDUSTRY"

Pillar of the Community
United States
4456 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2020  11:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The removal of the VDB on the 1909 VDB Cents occurred because there was a public backlash on the placement of the initials. It was just moved to the obverse under the bust.

If a mint mark was removed at the mint, there would be no way of knowing it happened unless that particular coin only had one mint mark. For example: modern proof coins have S mint marks. There are multiple proof varieties where the mint mark was not struck with the coins. BUT, these are identifiable because the modern proof coins only have one possible mint mark: an S, so If you find a modern proof without a mint mark, you know you have something special.

Lincoln Cents minted in 1982 were struck with a D for Denver and "no mint mark" for Philadelphia. So if the mint mark was not included on one of the dies, there would be no way of knowing whether it was from Denver where they forgot to add the MM, or if it was minted in Philadelphia where they do not include mint marks in the first place. It would be impossible to tell.

If the D was manually removed from the coin, then there wouldn't be any definitive way of finding out if there was ever a D there or if it was just badly damaged in that area. At least, that's what I think.

Hope this isn't too confusing!

-CH27
Collector of U.S. varieties and errors
Edited by CoinHunter27
10/23/2020 12:08 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
47344 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2020  1:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting point on this site:
https://coinweek.com/dealers-compan...ersial-coin/
Read after: "And Then the Controversy:"

Quote:

Some felt that the letters were simply too prominent, and others felt that since Brenner had been paid for his work, he didn't need recognition. (Underline added by coop)
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
10/23/2020 1:53 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2539 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2020  2:26 pm  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
CoinHunter said...

Quote:
The removal of the VDB on the 1909 VDB Cents occurred because there was a public backlash on the placement of the initials. It was just moved to the obverse under the bust.

That I understand. I was just asking hodi what he thought the the mint did to the VDB cents so we might be able to relate it to his coin.
The first US coin motto was found on a 1792 half disme and read: "LIB (erty) PAR (ent) OF SCIENCE & INDUSTRY"

Pillar of the Community
United States
4456 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2020  2:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have no doubt you understand Yokozuna! I was just trying to provide some background information since he asked about the VDB.

-CH27
Collector of U.S. varieties and errors
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 491Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.98 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05