Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1914 D - $2.50 Gold Coin - Grade?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 788Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
148 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2020  5:45 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add MrBreeze to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Thoughts on a grade for this coin?

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
52038 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2020  5:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can you throw a little more light on the surfaces? It's difficult to see the details clearly.
Valued Member
United States
148 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2020  7:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MrBreeze to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hopefully a couple better photos

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
52038 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2020  8:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you. I'll say MS-64.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
17592 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2020  10:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Exposed fields are marked up, not very surprising with the BLP designs on the Half and Quarter Eagles without raised rims. For the same reason, these coins can loose their radial mint luster rather quickly.

Nevertheless, I am a really an avid fan of the BLP designs,
because they are so different and innovative, and yet still highly successful as an artwork.
Would have been nice if Mint had produced a $10 BLP gold coin - it would have suited the larger planchet size.

A tiny amount of wear on the ties to the head dress.
AU-55.
Valued Member
United States
325 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2020  08:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smat45 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A couple of distracting marks under the chin and between stars 7 and 8...noticeable ding in front of eagles right wing. Very good color and rims!
MS62-63
smat
Bedrock of the Community
United States
21635 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2020  12:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU-58 details, cleaned
Pillar of the Community
United States
9412 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2020  3:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU58
Pillar of the Community
United States
620 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2020  12:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add twslisa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OK, I give up! How do you guys know it's been cleaned? (Now, I have one that looks like someone took a Brillo pad to it, but that's another story.)
Pillar of the Community
United States
620 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2020  12:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add twslisa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey, MrBreeze, what are you using to get these excellent photos?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5626 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2020  01:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks lightly cleaned or polished to me. The absence of any mint frost is one of the giveaways to my old eyes.

I would say it's "unc details - cleaned" in the slab world.
Valued Member
United States
148 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2020  05:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MrBreeze to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@twslisa - I used my IPhone camera. I did have an LED light that I used to get more light on the coin and reduce the shadows.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8136 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2020  7:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinCollector2012 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU details
Sets in progress... Washington quarters, 7070 Type Set, WLH Short Set
View my collection here! http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10518
ANA: 3183215
Valued Member
United States
169 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2020  9:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Morgan Nerd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see a very, very small amount of wear on the highest points. AU-58 cleaned, unfortunately. Could easily pass as MS-63 without close examination. Whoever cleaned it did a good job. Sure, they ruined the coin but it's still deceptively good fake mint luster.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
52038 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2020  9:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's been more than 48 hours - time for the results.
Valued Member
United States
148 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2020  10:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MrBreeze to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@coinfrog - results? Not sure I know how to answer. Sorry for the newbieness coming out. I am thinking about sending the coin in for TPG. I will definitely post the results here if I do. This was my first time buying a gold coin and was curious if I did ok on my purchase. I have learned a ton from all the comments. Definitely pointed out things that I hadn't seen.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 788Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.62 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05