Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Just Found Three Oooopie Dimes... I Think...

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 340Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
203 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2020  6:05 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Nells250 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
HI all... way back in 2016 I posted a quarter I found that had been mis-struck.

Oddly enough, my second post here has to do with what appears to be almost the same thing BUT with a catch...

I just sifted through my container of spare change and found not one... not two... but THREE dimes that are almost just like that first quarter! Almost...

Are these "ooopsie" enough to be classified as "errors"? Or just plain "sloppy"?

Valued Member
United States
464 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2020  6:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MOS0239 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, look like ooopsie errors to me.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4050 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2020  6:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We cannot address specifics when you post multiple coins. Please, one coin per thread.
ša va bien aller
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
47384 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2020  6:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They are showing a tilted die strike. I feel these are caused by the machine setup the same looseness that forms Machine Doubling alters the strike. Leaving sometimes a fin, of the rims like the coins above. If someone has a OBW roll of dimes that has not been opened before, look for examples of these. If you see some with these altered rims and some from the same die that are normal, then that would confirm my theory. I just don't worth with reed edge rolls of coins that much myself.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Valued Member
United States
230 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2020  6:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add HGK3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
We cannot address specifics when you post multiple coins. Please, one coin per thread.

Says who?

The OP has three coins with similar features that might be errors. You want them to post 3 times to get 1 answer?

Silly.

It looks like your dimes had a slightly misaligned obverse die. It's a fairly common error and generally doesn't add much of a premium to the coin until the devices start to disappear off the coin.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
17604 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2020  6:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very minor errors.
Spectacular major errors bring the big money.
Valued Member
United States
203 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2020  6:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nells250 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OK, so minor oooopsies. Got it!

Still... to find THREE in one sitting? All dimes of different years?

Maybe I should play the lottery tonight

;-)
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
47384 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2020  6:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you find a OBW roll of all the same date and mintmark, I would like a report on how many you find in a roll and if you also find Machine Doubling on these examples?
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Learn More...
United States
17731 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2020  6:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Says who?

Well I certainly don't have the final say, but I do agree with @merclover that in general it is best practice to have one coin per thread as it lets us have more descriptive thread titles and therefore using specific keywords in the CCF search box is more likely to actually work. With that said, we have plenty of threads where the primary goal of the thread is to post many different coins so this is not a strict rule or anything.

In the case of this specific thread with the three dimes (1981 P, 1988 P, and 200X P), the commonality of strike means that posting them as a group makes some sense. However, if these three coins had happened to have had different minting issues, then I think that @merclover was exactly correct with her statement.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
United States
4050 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2020  7:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The OP has three coins with similar features that might be errors. You want them to post 3 times to get 1 answer?

Silly.

If the OP has three similar coins, why then post all three? Make really good photos and questions for ONE coin, and apply knowledge gained to your other coins. In this manor, we look/see the issue more clearly and are able to help better.

ša va bien aller
Valued Member
United States
203 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2020  7:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nells250 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Part of the reason I posted all three is because, as stated, all three showed up at the same time, which I find somewhat amazing. Not being an active collector, I didn't know I breached some form of forum/coin-collecting etiquette by sharing all three in one thread.

Perhaps I should receive 50 lashes with a wet noodle...

:-|
Edited by Nells250
10/27/2020 7:34 pm
Valued Member
United States
230 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2020  7:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add HGK3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't want to start a spat with anyone and don't want to hijack the thread. I'll just respectfully respond this time in the interests of fairness.

What Merclover said that I was responding to was:

Quote:
We cannot address specifics when you post multiple coins.

Clearly, that's not accurate as at least 3 others, besides myself, responded to the post with specific answers. I thought her response was unnecessarily exclusionary ("you have to do it our way or else you don't get any help") and wanted to let the OP know that she hadn't done anything wrong.

I wasn't trying to call anyone out, just wanted to make the OP want to come back again.

Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 340Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.95 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05