Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What's The Difference Between Doubled Die And Machine Doubling?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 357Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
161 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2020  11:05 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add My2cent to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have a few coins that appear to have an extra line here and there and then I have coins that the lettering looks blown out or details are doubled. Still new to error coin collecting and want to know as much as possible.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5282 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2020  11:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chase007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to Community.

That's a great question and it is one of the most frequently discussed topics on this Forum. There are numerous topics and references and tutorials available on this site along with pictured tutorials.
Just type the subject in the upper left search box and they'll be at your disposal, but I tell you, it is a lot of fun to learn it.
I'll kick start you with the link below:

http://goccf.com/t/245603
Edited by Chase007
10/28/2020 11:16 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2576 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2020  11:18 am  Show Profile   Check BigSilver's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BigSilver to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A simplified answer to your question is. Machine Doubling is a result of an event that happens during the strike of a coin. A shift in the die causes the image to be distorted and appear doubled.
A true doubled die is a result of a die variety. The die that struck the coin had a doubled image on it, and it imparted that onto the coin.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
47416 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2020  1:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If coins are damaged with incuse marks, they are just face value coins. So as everyone asks about a 'Blind date', "Got any pictures?" LOL
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
20887 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2020  1:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another good read: http://goccf.com/t/320844
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
47416 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2020  1:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another good read is this one on the forum on what makes a doubled die. Spread.
http://goccf.com/t/315550
So between the two, you can see what is Machine Doubling and what makes a coin a doubled die, what to look for. "Spread, what is it."
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays

Bedrock of the Community
United States
36490 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2020  3:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. Here is a link that shows a lot of different types of doubling. Click on pics to enlarge and read top to bottom. You should put it in your bookmarks. http://koinpro.tripod.com/Articles/...Doubling.htm
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
United States
161 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2020  11:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add My2cent to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for your help and if I am to understand this correctly,and please let me know if I am wrong, but I chose these 2 coins from my collection. The second is Machine Doubling and the first one is a doubled die?

Edited by My2cent
10/28/2020 11:05 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
36490 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2020  04:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First off,you will need to post in focus photos. 1st coin is MD (I think,because it is blurry). 2nd coin looks like ridge ring,not a doubled die.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
47416 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2020  07:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Machine Doubling affects the outsides of the devices. This is caused by the machine right after the strike. A doubled die has doubling on the die. So all coins will show the same doubling. Machine Doubling varies from strike to strike. What is missing between the two? Spread. One centers of the devices, the devices there , are enlarged. For a better understanding of this, check back on the read I suggested on the section listed: 'Part 2', for an in depth presentation of this subject.
The second coin is a die wear issue seen on the cents with zincolns. The design has a lower profile, thus the die wear is different than the older die processes. These are call single squeeze dies. The doubling on these dies are more confined to the central areas of the designs. The outer areas suffer from die wear, as seen exactly like your coin. Neither are doubled dies.
Richard S. Cooper

Valued Member
United States
161 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2020  11:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add My2cent to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Okay I think I'm getting more of an understanding. and I do apologize about the quality of the pictures I only have my phone to rely on for that
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 357Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.27 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05