Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

For Grading 1968 Jefferson 5c - S

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 406Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
135 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2020  03:07 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add shantiom to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

let me know where photos are weak please

Edited by shantiom
10/29/2020 9:38 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9129 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2020  08:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A 1968 S business strike with that good of step detail is unusual. Your reverse image is too small and I can't grade from pictures but it looks like it's probably either AU58 or MS64 ish to me depending on any amount of handling.
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Pillar of the Community
United States
1388 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2020  08:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A bit difficult to judge surfaces off these. Overall nice strike. I'm not seeing any steps, could just be the small pic, but the remainder of the reverse strike is above average. I'm with TNG, AU58/MS64, maybe even 65 in hand.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
52011 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2020  09:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can you enlarge the reverse pic to the size of the obverse pic?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9129 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2020  09:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Actually, I enlarged my view and zoomed in and don't see any steps either now.
( I have looked at too many coins I guess or it is way too early in the day for me. )
My favorite album!
Valued Member
United States
135 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2020  10:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add shantiom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks all, I uploaded the image as requested of the reverse. If you could help me understand what you need to look for in terms of a MS no FS, as to high grades, that would help. I have the Jefferson nickel Analyst, but input here would help. I thought with the intact surface, luster, and strong strike, this would be a mid MS 60. At the same time, what are considered the high points or areas to look for on Jefferson as to the Reverse for wear.

And yes, 1968 FS is considered very rare both 5FS and 6FS according to the reference books. Thanks again.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14289 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2020  10:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
By judging from your photos I'll say MS-64 , seems to be above average for its date and mint .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Pillar of the Community
United States
2013 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2020  11:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Higher resolution images would help. As it is now, I'm thinking MS62+.
Pillar of the Community
United States
814 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2020  1:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nick10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm at MS62. Obverse picture has fields too washed out to know how many small dings there are. MS grades are mostly about the dings and hits. Relatively speaking, big hits in fields are the worst, while small dings on devices are the least impactful on grade.
Pillar of the Community
United States
620 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2020  1:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add twslisa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I haven't gotten around to really studying Jefferson nickels yet (not a lot in my gpa's collection, and other than the really weird neon toning I've seen on proofs, they haven't caught my eye).

Anyway, is it usual for the final o in Monticello to be slightly below center?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9129 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2020  4:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Now I'm seeing some steps again. LOL
My favorite album!
Valued Member
United States
277 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2020  8:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mikem007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS64 possibly MS65. Two years ago I sold a 1968S MS66FS ~$3100 @ Stacks Bowers auction. 1960s Nickels are one of my favorites due to the era of craziness and noticeable quality change of that decade.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
21635 Posts
 Posted 11/07/2020  11:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First photo makes it hard to grade from.
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 406Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.79 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05