Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1906 IHC - Errant Number In The Obverse Field

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 811Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United States
161 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2020  8:16 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add shantiom to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
http://goccf.com/t/385384

I cross posted this in the us coin grading session.

On the obverse does anyone, else see it

When the coin arrived today, under a 16x Loupe I saw it clearly

Is this just a remnant from poor polishing of the die

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Edited by shantiom
10/30/2020 8:09 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
47461 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2020  8:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, I'm not seeing anything different. A closer view might show something to me?
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
4486 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2020  9:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I do see a mis-placed date in the denticles but nothing obvious In the field. Can you post a close up of the denticles below 06 please? Cool coin!

-CH27
Collector of U.S. varieties and errors
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
52230 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2020  10:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well then, how about showing us a 16X image.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17049 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2020  12:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think he may be talking about the slight discoloration patterm midway between the 8 and the A that kind of looks like a 6.
Gary Schmidt
Valued Member
United States
161 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2020  01:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add shantiom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the feedback and I am replying with more images, I'll do a photoshop analysis that will pop pout anything below the surface. But for now, here is what I could do. Also, saw some action on the 0 in 1908.

The remnants of a 4 device?

Action in the zero of 1906?

The remnants of the initial one punched left of 1 in 1906?

A number in the denticles?

Doubling in B of Liberty or MD?

Edited by shantiom
10/30/2020 01:43 am
Valued Member
United States
344 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2020  09:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smat45 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very good eye! Thanks for the close up pics! Helps me with some of the things I should be looking for!
Thanks for sharing. Looking fwd to what others have to say.
smat
Pillar of the Community
United States
4486 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2020  12:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like it could be snow-14 based off the RPD and MPD:

https://www.indianvarieties.com/cen...002-rpd-014/

This variety is also listed in the cherry picker's guide as FS-302. Nice find! A cool combo of a re-punched and mis-placed date!

-CH27
Edited by CoinHunter27
10/30/2020 12:38 pm
Valued Member
United States
161 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2020  1:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add shantiom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
wow! that looks about right after reading the digital 5ed CPG...thank you for identifying @Coinhunter27! that was my first effort at cherry picking with success!
Pillar of the Community
United States
4486 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2020  2:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice! I'm glad I could be of help. Congrats again!

-CH27
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19869 Posts
 Posted 10/31/2020  07:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If it takes that much magnification to see things, I'd rather just have a normal coin.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
United States
939 Posts
 Posted 10/31/2020  09:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thecoinguy1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's hair splitting!
"When a strong man, fully armed, guards his house, his possessions are safe."
- Luke 11:21
Pillar of the Community
United States
7413 Posts
 Posted 11/01/2020  01:38 am  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Superb looking variety IHC. That date punch was way off the second time out or maybe it was the first try?

I'm not convinced it's the S-14 though, I don't see that the S-14 has any Misplaced Digits. Might be worth contacting Rick Snow, let him know what you have, it could be a new variety, I'm unable to match it up with any of the 1906 Snow varieties exactly, there are a lot for 1906 too over 50 of them, so another one can't be ruled out either.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Pillar of the Community
United States
4486 Posts
 Posted 11/01/2020  1:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@westcoin if you take a look at the link I provided above, it shows that snow-14 has an MPD. I think it is a match but it would be tough to confirm without having a full image of the date area (Including the denticles) which is why I left it up to the OP to correctly attribute it.

-CH27
Pillar of the Community
United States
7413 Posts
 Posted 11/01/2020  3:14 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ah, I was looking at the Snow Reference book I have. Didn't see mention in that.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17049 Posts
 Posted 11/02/2020  11:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Remnants of a 4, I don't see it.
Action in the 0, yes looks like posibly a RPD, also looks like at the top of the 9 as well.
Remnants of initial 1 left of 1, I don't see it.
Number in the denticles, looks good.
Doubling of B, looks like it took a hit
Gary Schmidt
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 811Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.7 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05