Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1884-S Morgan Dollar Grading Skills Needed - First Coin I Sent To NGC

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 40 / Views: 1,293Next Topic
Page: of 3
United States
28 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2020  3:41 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CapeCoralCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Dear all,
I just received this coin back from NGC and wanted your opinion on the grade. I am new to grading and sent my first coins to NGC so I wanted to see how you guys would grade it :)

The pics are the HiRes pics provided from NGC.

Of course I will reveal the grade in the end.

Thx all and have a nice weekend

Valued Member
United States
169 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2020  3:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Morgan Nerd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Kind of black, and no mint luster. I'd say AU-58.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
970 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2020  4:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GMS5 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Current state of the pic's provided precludes me from giving a grade.
The Cheek looks clean, but the Obv. looks cleaned around the lettering. Impossible to tell.
Could be anywhere between AU-50 to MS65
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3189 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2020  4:14 pm  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I hope the photos aren't a true representation of the actual coin..

It is near impossible to grade a coin from those photos..
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5631 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2020  4:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pictures are not good enough for me to render a guess on the grade.

Knowing what I know about 1884-S dollars though I'd guess your coin is somewhere between XF 45 and AU 55. I doubt very seriously if it made MS 60 or higher.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2532 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2020  4:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Surfaces are hard to assess from the photos, but if it didn't get a details designation, I'd guess AU-55 or AU-58.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
52132 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2020  5:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Surfaces too dark to evaluate.

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
United States
9429 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2020  5:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU55. I'll guess it straight graded by your smile.
1883-O Nut
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
391 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2020  5:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add johnjkedel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes the photos need improvement for a proper assessment ... but ... the hair and feathers are well defined. I will assume the best and give it an MS63. Might even grade to a 64.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2032 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2020  5:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As above, I can't tell much with the photos posted. The images appear far too processed. Would love to see the image histogram.
Pillar of the Community
United States
574 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2020  6:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add suipakpaikungfu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd give it AU details - environmental damage based on the pics.
United States
28 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2020  6:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CapeCoralCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry folks, that's the original Hi-res pictures I received from NGC.

I'll try to get the low-Res pictures uploaded.
but that's just how NGC supplies their pics!?

Not my fault :)

But so far your guesses are actually not what NGC thought...

Thx for all your help!!

Sorry I'm new so excuse any failures.

United States
28 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2020  6:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CapeCoralCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
here are more pics

Valued Member
United States
169 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2020  6:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Morgan Nerd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow!! Ok, MS-63 now! But cleaned.
Edited by Morgan Nerd
10/30/2020 6:45 pm
United States
28 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2020  6:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CapeCoralCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
... which would lead to Unc Details then, or am I wrong?

The cleaning is the thing I'm curious about...

I honestly didn't see any cleaning on the raw coin but now with the NGC pics maybe some cleaning on the obv..

but still compared to the straight graded MS63 and 64s I own from NGC I don't really get the true grading.

Any other opinions?
Valued Member
United States
169 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2020  7:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Morgan Nerd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, Uncirculated Details, not MS-63; I was just joking. I polished a silver dollar years ago when I first started collecting and didn't know what I was doing. The results looked just like that coin.

Is it details, or straight?
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 40 / Views: 1,293Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05