Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1878-S Morgan Dollar VAM-6 DDO. What Grade Would You Give?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 704Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
173 Posts
 Posted 11/06/2020  2:45 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Finn70 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Interested in your grading opinions for this Morgan.

Valued Member
United States
172 Posts
 Posted 11/06/2020  5:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add villagekid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Does look like a VAM-6 RIB (Hot-50) that will bring a little premium to the VAM Enthusiast's.
Coin looks like it's already in a slab so I will base
my opinion vs TPG.

Overall a decent profile Morgan for the strike.
Luster?
Reverse seems a little weak (breast is somewhat flat and smooth with tail feathers) Eagle still appears to have a nice bold appearance. Obverse to me has an average strike on high points. No major bag marks or dings but does have some tics here and there but not too distracting.
I really can't get a feel on the bottom sides of the coin (out of focus for clarity)
I'm at the MS-63 Range from what I can tell here.
Maybe a bump to MS-64 if luster is upwards to 75%.

Still a nice looker!

Edited by villagekid
11/06/2020 5:21 pm
Valued Member
United States
482 Posts
 Posted 11/06/2020  5:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JasonKflo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I will say MS-63 I think the pics are not showing us everything
Valued Member
United States
173 Posts
 Posted 11/06/2020  6:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn70 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coin is in MS condition and is graded by ANACS with the VAM-6 designation on the slab. I will maybe try better pics later.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
53738 Posts
 Posted 11/06/2020  6:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll say MS-63.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1782 Posts
 Posted 11/06/2020  7:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS-63 as well here.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9510 Posts
 Posted 11/06/2020  8:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with MS63.
1883-O Nut
Pillar of the Community
United States
1027 Posts
 Posted 11/07/2020  09:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ham1947 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Even though the bottoms of the photos are blurry, I grade this coin MS64.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
21767 Posts
 Posted 11/07/2020  11:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm with Ham1947, MS-64. Very clean cheek.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3875 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2020  10:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
United States
9668 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2020  11:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
obverse strike sharp which is common for this coin reverse just a tad weak on the breast but nothing disconcerting. luster appears to be broken on both sides. i'd say eye appeal is AVG for the grade. surface preservation is shy of AVG with abrasions and small marks across both sides.
the lower half of the obverse may have been dipped or cleaned. from the chin down it appears the luster has been removed (dullness) and the spotting in that area indicate a cleaning.

overall I think it comes in at MS63 and details designation would not surprise me at all.
Pillar of the Community
United States
681 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2020  12:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add suipakpaikungfu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
63-64
Valued Member
United States
173 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2020  10:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn70 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry about the delay in revealing the grade of the Morgan dollar, but life has been a bit hectic for the past couple of days. I don't have access to the coin right now, but the coin straight graded at MS62. It looks quite a bit better than many of my MS63's. Thanks goes out to all who responded!
Edited by Finn70
11/13/2020 10:37 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
635 Posts
 Posted 11/15/2020  11:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add twslisa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
62 seems harsh. I wonder why they chose that grade.
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 704Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.66 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05