Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is There Actually Additional Value To "First Day Of Issue" ASEs?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 411Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
74 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2020  7:16 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CoinsInVT to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Wanting to put in an order for an MS70 2021. It's $50 for the straight MS70, $62 for the First Day of Issue. Worth the extra $12 (especially since it will be the first year of a new design), or is this just a novelty?
Pillar of the Community
United States
2662 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2020  7:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Considering there are no 2021 ASE yet available I would skip both as they probably aren't real. And they won't be available until later in the year. Personally I would rather buy a non slabbed bullion and save some money.
Edited by hfjacinto
11/19/2020 7:38 pm
Valued Member
United States
74 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2020  7:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinsInVT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pre-Order from APMEX. Very real.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
17604 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2020  8:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you have an MS-70 bullion coin, you can only realize the premium if you re sell it onto the retail numismatic market.
A bullion dealer will only offer the buy back spot bullion price. That's my experience, anyway.
Valued Member
United States
369 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2020  8:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bzookaj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Are you collecting the label on the slab or the coin?
Edited by bzookaj
11/19/2020 8:29 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2662 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2020  8:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Why would you preorder a bullion coin? It's priced based on its silver value? Like I posted above they aren't going to be released until later in 2021.. look I'm not buying it but you seem intent on getting it. In that case get the extra gimmick of first release.
Valued Member
United States
74 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2020  9:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinsInVT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, obviously I'm not intent on anything if I'm here asking for advice from people more experienced in collecting these than I am. Not sure what me pointing out that they were from a reputable dealer gave that impression.

I don't collect these things; this is outside of my normal spring bullion purchases with the goal of trying to sell it down the road. So in this case, yes, you might say I am "buying the slab" as my question is, from a collector's standpoint, with my goal being to sell this thing in 5 or 10 years, would the FDOI label add any resale value or is it just a reason for companies to jack up the price on them?
Valued Member
United States
369 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2020  10:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bzookaj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
General wisdom is that the first day, early release, etc., designations add value because some people like to only collect those. However, it also means you're likely paying more to get it, too.

Bullion ASEs generally don't change much in value other than metal spot changes, so the premium for the label won't likely make much difference over time.
Edited by bzookaj
11/19/2020 10:03 pm
Valued Member
United States
325 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2020  12:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PlumCrazy814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My opinion is that, for resale at a later date, the first day of issue would be bought before one that is not even if both bring about the same price.
Keep in mind that you may not be able to realize a premium when trying to sell if you need to divest quickly.

You have some time to look at online sales of other First Day certified coins compared to non-first day coins of same issue of five or ten years ago in today's market to help you make your choice. It is hard to predict what the market will be 5-10 years from now.

Valued Member
United States
74 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2020  1:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinsInVT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the insight, Zooka and Plum!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19853 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2020  10:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I never really believed in that first day of issue stuff.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
United States
874 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2020  10:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Only to those who collect plastic. And there seems to be quite a few.
ANA member
PAN Member
BCCS Member

There's no problem only solutions - the late, great John Lennon
Valued Member
United States
358 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2020  12:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mrpapageorgio to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Personally, if you're purchasing this with the goal of selling down the line, I'd consider something else besides a regular bullion eagle that's graded since hundreds of millions of straight bullion eagles are made per year. Even a proof coin graded would likely be a better option.

I don't believe in much of the First Releases/First Strike gimmick. However, I am guilty of perpetuating this trend. The coins I have graded (which is the vast minority of my collection), I tend to have that designation added if available since it makes the coin more valuable should I have to sell it down the line since there are people willing to pay a premium for it.

Another tip, don't buy anything you see off HSN or what their "resident numismatist" sells. General rule of thumb (not always) I can usually find what they're selling for half. I just wish I had their customer list since they seem to get people to buy.
Edited by mrpapageorgio
11/21/2020 12:12 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
17604 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2020  12:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Inferred from my experience only:
A bullion dealer looking at a buyback would offer zero premium for a First Day Of Issue on any bullion coin.

It may? be worth a lot more to an individual who could be seeking an example on the numismatic aftermarket in 5 years' time.

To buy now or not to buy now is a purely speculative judgement on your part.

Edited by sel_69l
11/21/2020 12:22 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
574 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2020  12:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add suipakpaikungfu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Never did much for me. I'd prefer to save the Extra $ and buy more silver.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1611 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2020  12:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bret to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
A bullion dealer looking at a buyback would offer zero premium for a First Day Of Issue on any bullion coin.

+1 The same dealers who charge a premium for these labels get very stingy when it comes to paying the premium when they buy.

Quote:
It may? be worth a lot more to an individual who could be seeking an example on the numismatic aftermarket in 5 years' time.

+1 When making an investment, planning the sale is just as important if not more important than planning the purchase. Dealers will not on average pay you the same premium as you paid. That leaves you with needing to find a collector to sell to. eBay is the most obvious outlet that will allow you to get market prices. Unfortunately, the selling fees are 13% or so. That's killer when it comes to an investment. What other options do you have for selling this coin? If you can't answer the question, then you should probably reconsider buying.

CoinsInVT, I think that on average a better investment would be for you to take the money you'd spend on this coin, hit three random letters on your keyboard and spend the money buying shares of whatever stock that ends up being. You literally wouldn't pay a premium to buy or sell, so you'd never be in the hole. Consider who's really making the money when it comes to these graded modern issue coins. They're selling the one you've asked about for literally over twice what the coin itself would cost you.
  Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 411Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 2.28 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05