Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1909 S VDB Lincoln Wheat Cent - Counterfeit

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 449Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2709 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2020  11:51 pm Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This is a "glued on" mint mark, rather expertly done as it sits pretty square on with mint mark position 3. But they used a mint mark from a later year and it is the wrong style for 1909. The coin is harshly cleaned, likely to match the look of the added mint mark to the rest of the coin.

1909-S VDB Lincoln Wheat cent - counterfeit

Edited by tropicalbats
11/20/2020 11:52 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1418 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2020  12:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Daves Errors to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
IDK TB Looks real to me
Edited by Daves Errors
11/21/2020 12:09 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
52071 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2020  09:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Boy, that's kinda scary.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2027 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2020  10:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Grafted on. Cool.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
47344 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2020  7:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The real clue as to what confirms it is a fake?

The location of the center dot.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
2178 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2020  6:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tunnioc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Don't soak it in acetone, the mintmark may fall off lol.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1416 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2020  08:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Willburton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Get that puppy on eBay!
Learn More...
United States
29469 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2020  08:56 am  Show Profile   Check nss-52's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nss-52 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Get that puppy on eBay!

NOT an appropriate suggestion.
Show your appreciation for the Coin Community Family (click here)
Pillar of the Community
United States
511 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2020  10:22 am  Show Profile   Check Billie's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Billie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, without close examination would've fooled me.
As a rule of thumb I am inclined to buy only slabbed certified coins over a certain price point.

You can always crack'em out
Pillar of the Community
United States
1418 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2020  12:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Daves Errors to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
nss-52 I don't see how putting it on ebay is wrong or a bad suggestion from Will at all. I am sure at some point he needed to be smack to the back of the head as we all have But this is not one of them times. They sell for a good price I have seen them sell due to the history/story of the coin. Some people collect counterfeits and this one is looked for by many to add to there collection. As long as TB list's the coin as what it is, It should sell.
Edited by Daves Errors
11/23/2020 12:52 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
47344 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2020  12:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
But others are swindled buying when they think it is a read doubled die. When they go to sell it later, they are either going to pass it on to another collector either by hood winking them, or selling them as a fake, not for anywhere near the real coin value. Some places sell them for less than $15. To me a fake coin should be stamped like this one:

That way no one will think it is real.

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2709 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2020  12:57 pm  Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well Personally I disagree with selling counterfeits on ebay even if listed just so. Invariably someone looking to resell it as real will bid the highest and then it goes right back on the market. Someday I may sell my collection, rather than just counterstamp every one of them "COPY", but it would only be by private sale to someone I really, really trust as a collector of such things and not on the open market.
Learn More...
United States
29469 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2020  5:16 pm  Show Profile   Check nss-52's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nss-52 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
nss-52 I don't see how putting it on ebay is wrong or a bad suggestion

Counterfeit coins are not allowed to be sold on eBay (per their policy), nor are replica coins (marked or unmarked).

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/...ai=lucenceai

Recommending that someone sell a counterfeit coin on eBay is really bad advice.
Show your appreciation for the Coin Community Family (click here)
Pillar of the Community
United States
1418 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2020  5:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Daves Errors to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting ebay is. You can sell a coin as something it's NOT In turn RIPPING PEOPLE OFF, Fake Bank rolls Fake Double Dies Coins NOT real errors so on and so on but, you can not sell a counterfeit listed as counterfeit to someone that collects them. There are MANY coins being sold on ebay DALY that are lies but ya can't tell the truth and sell a coin to people collecting counterfeits. I am lost on that one. So ebay is ok with a lie to sell a coin but not ok with the TRUTH to sell a coin. HUM they need to work on fixing that.
Edited by Daves Errors
11/23/2020 6:18 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1416 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2020  7:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Willburton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just to clear the air. I was obviously joking (if you look at my posts at all). The reason being is people love to post horrendous eBay listings on here for others to laugh at. Sorry if I offended you nss, seems you may have been at the bad end of one of these eBay deals.
Edited by Willburton
11/23/2020 7:02 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
52071 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2020  7:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Of course Willburton was kidding. Anyone tempted by his remark?
  Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 449Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.95 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05