Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

My First Morgan

Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member
Philippines
212 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2008  11:16 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add junjiesalvador to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi, I just recently acquired my first Morgan. A non-collector friend was leaving for the Middle East and he had this single 1887 Morgan. I know I could have gotten a slabbed and better one with almost the same price, however, my friend needed the money, so why not.What is interesting about the coin is that on first glance it looks like there are four arrow heads instead of three. I guess some mint grease or deteriorated die caused this oddity.
Was this a good buy? Are there some other oddities on the coin? Got it for $20.00. Thanks

junjie

Pillar of the Community
United States
954 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2008  7:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Becky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A great way to help out a friend.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2838 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2008  8:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add morgans dad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
junjie, this is a nice start for your morgan collection, I am trying to enlarge the photo and see the date to give you some information on this coin, could you please re-take 2-more photos, obverse and reverse, I would like to see the coin better, and check out any other oddities or (VAM'S). It seems like the finish on your coin has a polished look to it, might be the light , thanks, MIKE
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2513 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2008  9:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Parklane64 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You did good.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1407 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2008  10:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wwhitman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
you did well both with your friend and the coin
Valued Member
Philippines
212 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2008  03:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add junjiesalvador to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Mike here are two more shots of the coin. I can't take a better picture with my old camera. I hope this helps. Thank you all.

junjie

Valued Member
Philippines
212 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2008  04:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add junjiesalvador to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Mike is the date retouched? Here are some pictures of it.

Learn More...
United States
23520 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2008  09:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think, tentatively, VAM-26:

http://www.vamworld.com/1887-P+VAM-26

Morgans are known for oddness about the 8's - the inside corners are a very sharp point in the die, and you'll sometimes see chips there from broken dies.

This is not a coin of great value, but it's a story of great value, worth much more than you paid.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1219 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2008  09:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MorgansRmine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice start junjie. This is another year where date placement is the major factor as to the Vam#. Yours appears to be in the normal position. If there is minor doubling on any of the date digits, I can't tell. What I'd like you to check is the ear and see if there is any doubling like the picture below.

Pillar of the Community
United States
2838 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2008  5:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add morgans dad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Junjie, I do not think the date is retouched, I think without more "clear"photos, as Dave said, it might be a VAM 26, THE DATE IS SLANTED AND THE NUMBER 1 IS CLOSEST TO THE RIM.If you could I would like to see the base of the left wing, or the entire left wing if you could, THANKS, MIKE
Valued Member
Philippines
212 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2008  10:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add junjiesalvador to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here are some more shots. Now I'm beginning to see why a lot of collectors are on to Morgan.

Pillar of the Community
United States
2838 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2008  10:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add morgans dad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Junjie, check out VAM 1F, I can not see well in the photos you have posted, you will see why I asked for the photos,i was looking for a die gouge on the lower left wing, very small, hard to see, look on the vamworld site, as stated above, good luck, MIKE
Pillar of the Community
United States
1219 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2008  10:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MorgansRmine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
junjie, I believe I see doubling inside the ear, but the light is shining right on the spot I need to see. Does it appear to be doubled to you. I respectfully disagree on the slanted date. Here's a picture of a slanted, and I just don't see enough distance from the denticles to the bottoms of last 8 and 7 to call yours slanted.

Learn More...
United States
23520 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2008  11:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MorgansRmine, after pulling both images into the Gimp so I could look at them the same size, I agree that date of the coin here isn't slanted. Furthermore, the date digits are considerably thinner than those noted for VAM-26. There's a wide variance in the date stamps used for this year (I'm including some sample images below), and VAMworld's pics don't seem to show any of the thinnest date stamps, as in the original poster's coin and the first I've posted.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1219 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2008  3:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MorgansRmine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Boy, you're still the master of the camera Dave, great pictures.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2838 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2008  5:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add morgans dad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
DAVE, this 1st MORGAN you have posted , the picture is beautiful and although she is silent in the photo, she says alot, I see a wonderful die break all along the left stars, through the truncation of the neck, and continues through the 188 and almost to the 7,possibly a mds or late die state?. I also see the clash mark behind the cap and I believe the hint of an incused "n" at the neck,i just love a good die break,could you post a picture of this coin's reverse, I would like to check it out, thanks for the post and the photos, BE WELL, MIKE
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.06 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05