Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1918-D Buffalo...you Vs NGC And ANACS

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 613Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1738 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2020  9:48 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
So this was one of a bunch that I sent to ANACS. I disagreed with the grade (won't give away too much), so I cracked it and sent it off in my last NGC submission.

Guess the grade that ANACS and NGC gave it. Will post results in 48 hrs.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
53536 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2020  10:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll say VF-35, possibly EF-40.
Edited by Coinfrog
11/25/2020 10:07 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8059 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2020  10:24 pm  Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU55 with a mush strike
My best finds: 1999-WAM:http://goccf.com/t/332161 1988-RDV-6:http://goccf.com/t/335954#2873459 1986-Off-center: http://goccf.com/t/335952
1999 WAM #2:http://goccf.com/t/338710&whichpage=1
1981 Double Struck In Collar: http://goccf.com/t/350199&whichpage=1
ANA id: 3194067
My Type Set: https://www.NGCcoin.com/registry/co...sets/236574/
If you want to buy something or sell something or just talk, shoot me a PM!
Valued Member
United States
457 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2020  07:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smat45 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
EF45-AU50 weak strike
smat
Pillar of the Community
United States
5057 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2020  08:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Typical weakish strike.
I can go XF-45.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14588 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2020  08:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ANACS- AU53 , NGC- MS-63
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Pillar of the Community
United States
2901 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2020  10:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll say Anacs AU 58, NGC MS 64, my personal opinion is AU58
United States
34 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2020  1:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gunbarrelcoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Looks like a typical weaker strike, no obvious signs of wear, few marks, looks like it's toning slightly. MS63
Pillar of the Community
Canada
996 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2020  2:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GMS5 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ANACS AU-58, NGC MS-62
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1709 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2020  2:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coin! This has the nice look of an old album coin.

Matching EMDS dies. This is evident in the obverse detail of the strong date, full ribbons, and full rachis and calamus on the second feather. This is evident on the reverse on the separation of "F" of FIVE and "S" of CENTS from the rim, neck and beard detail, and strong EPU. Note the beginning of a small rim cud at 11:00 on the reverse and the small die chip inside the curl of the tail. This may lead to die pair identification some day.

Weak strike, even for 1918-D. The obverse die appears to have been seated very slightly off, evident on the weaker than normal LIBERTY and stronger than normal date.

Minimal die clashing and die polishing. The chin/EPU clash is minimal, with very little polishing at the chin and none at EPU. The second feather / buffalo's head clash is much more evident, with fairly strong polishing on the buffalo's head and a still-evident "spike" between the head and the "U" of UNITED. The obverse feather tip has been abraded partially. The "LIB" / right rear leg clash is moderate, with evident polishing above "IB" and heavy polishing on the right rear leg and between the legs. All in all, that is moderate clashing and polishing.

The surfaces are in excellent shape, with nice light golden toning. The obverse has either a struck-through or scratch near the rim at 11:00, a noticeable scratch descending from the nose past the chin, a slight rim ding at 3:00, and a small scratch (possibly on the holder) near 12:00. The reverse has a rim ding at 12:00, minor surface scratches beneath the buffalo's head, a deeper scratch behind the buffalo's left front lower leg, and a surface scratch on the buffalo's front shoulder. Minor album abrasions exist on both the obverse and reverse.

IMHO, a well-struck example with this appearance would hit MS-64 easily. The strike weakness is the major deterrent to a 64 here. I believe NGC would see the obverse as MS-64, reverse as MS-63+, net MS-63+, with an eye appeal strike adjustment downward to MS-63. I fear that ANACS saw the toning, album scratches, and weak strike as evidence of light circulation, and came in at AU-58.

I'm not a fan of CAC, but if this one is below MS-63, I'd recommend sending it in for a bean assessment.

Again, tough date and a nice coin.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1738 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2020  8:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Quite the range so far! Will give it another day, and post results tomorrow afternoon.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
53536 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2020  8:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm the outlier here and deserve a kick in the !*# for grading this from a cell phone. Agree AU-50 or better.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9646 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2020  09:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS63

learning experience: what is EPU?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1709 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2020  11:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just shorthand for E PLURIBUS UNUM.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1738 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2020  4:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So ANACS gave this a straight graded XF-40. Felt that was very low so I cracked it and included this in my last NGC sub. This is the holder it currently resides. No signs of a cleaning that I can see in hand, not sure what NGC saw in this. Not sure what's in store for this one. Not looking for any Details grades in the AU-MS slabbed Buff set I'm currently working on.

Valued Member
United States
377 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2020  5:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cleaned?
Next time NGC gives one of your coins a Details grade you should demand they give you an explanation for that grade.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 613Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.73 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05