Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1799 Draped Bust Dollar For Grading And Details Determination

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 26 / Views: 547Next Topic
Page: of 2
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
53536 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2020  8:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's $1,475 including the juice? How much time?
Valued Member
United States
63 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2020  8:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add shoover4 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
matthewvincent,

It does speak to me and has since I first saw it. I suspect, though, that it has been cleaned and that PCGS would mark it as such. If it weren't for that, I'd certainly be a buyer.

Pillar of the Community
United States
9542 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2020  8:48 pm  Show Profile   Check BH1964's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BH1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wouldn't pay that kind of money for it raw. That's with my money and ymmv.
ANA #R3154474
Pillar of the Community
United States
3461 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2020  8:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add matthewvincent to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Suspicion or fear?
Two questions remain:
Is it genuine?
Is it cleaned?

I say "Yes" to genuine and "No" to cleaned.
Other may now give their opinions.
How much time remains on the auction?
Brother, can you spare a "BARBER" dime?
Pillar of the Community
United States
2749 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2020  9:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with the grade of VF20, but the coin is over priced for a raw coin. It is a nice looking coin. From the photos the coin does not look cleaned. Take the same money and look for one in a TPG holder as there is much less risk.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9121 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2020  9:14 pm  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's real but the price with BP is way over the top.

I paid $1375 for my 1800 which was PCGS/CAC VG 10, but that was 5 years ago, but all the same

The 1799 is a very pretty coin, though, and if money's not an issue and you're not worried about getting out of it later, then it might not be such a bad price. That being said, my rule of thumb when dealing with any coin from the era over $500-$1000 is that unless it's a series about which I have a high degree of knowledge (e.g. Large Cents) I will buy certified every time, not only to protect me, but also to protect resale value.
Longhorn Coins & Exonumia
Member ANA - EAC - TNA - SSDC - CCT #890

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
53536 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2020  9:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Too pricey for raw, no upside especially after grading fees even if it goes straight.
Edited by Coinfrog
12/01/2020 9:30 pm
Valued Member
United States
377 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2020  9:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is another 1799 VF20: https://coins.ha.com/itm/early-doll...n-071515-new
Sold for $1,440 all in.
Personally, I would never buy raw coins that run well over $1,000. For the simple reason that there are plenty of graded coins available in the same price range and similar eye appeal, but with less risk to you as buyer.

Edited by NumisEd
12/01/2020 9:39 pm
Valued Member
United States
63 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2020  9:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add shoover4 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I do know the pre-1800 coins well (plus the capped bust halves), so I'm comfortable buying them raw. Part of the enjoyment for me is finding them raw and doing the evaluation. I don't worry about the cost so much and don't mind even overpaying a bit if I really like the coin. The only coins I typically buy post-TPG are high-grade ones that are nearly impossible to find raw (e.g., an MS-64 1835 bust half that had toned bronze).

The auction ended a few minutes ago and I did not bid. Sale at $1450, which is about right I think.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
53536 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2020  10:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good comments. Agree, price sounds right.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9646 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2020  12:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
this is a nice coin. the overall eye appeal and even wear really make this stand out. I have it at a solid VF20 and I dont see any reason why this coin would details.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 26 / Views: 547Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.55 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05