Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Have People Found In Their First Year Of Coin Collecting? For Beginner

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 709Next Topic
Page: of 2
United Kingdom
9 Posts
 Posted 12/22/2020  2:43 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add orkneycoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi,

Would like to hear what other people have found in their first year of collecting coins. What are your thoughts/conclusions?

Mine are

1) I would rather pay a premium than risk them being fake. I bought a fake coin from eBay and it almost put me off collecting. I have being using sites/shops that charge more than most sites/shops.
I am going to be more adventurous next year based on recommendations from my fellow members from this site. But I think for the first year its better to be cautious.

2) Really look at the pictures of the coins I buy. I have bought a couple of coins that aren't as fine as I initially thought.

3) Use this site! People on here have been very helpful and knowledgeable.

What are your conclusions from your first year?

Regards
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14876 Posts
 Posted 12/22/2020  3:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well my first year started about 1962 with Lincoln cents ,then Jefferson nickels . Started filling up folders like a Banshee . So to get back to you with your question :
( what are your conclusions from your first year ), It was a blast and had a lot of fun looking through everyone's change and rolls from the bank . Unfortunately as I was just a kid I didn't pay any attention to the silver Dimes ,Quarters , and Halves .One ,because I couldn't afford those rolls and 2 because who in the heck knew they were going to stop making 90% silver Business strike coins . I think I might have gotten a little off track with your thread but just had to let the Newbies know what it was like in the early 60's .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Learn More...
United States
96136 Posts
 Posted 12/22/2020  4:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
3) Use this site! People on here have been very helpful and knowledgeable.

My first year was over forty years ago.

If I recall, the biggest thing I learned was that reading about coins was almost as fun as getting coins. Back then it was magazines, but today we have sites like CCF to fill some of the time between purchases.
Pillar of the Community
1110 Posts
 Posted 12/22/2020  4:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MOS0239 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
T-BOP's story is my exact story, except in 62 my coins came from my paper route. Don't think that happens very much today.
Edited by MOS0239
12/22/2020 4:39 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
6986 Posts
 Posted 12/22/2020  6:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
- People also post coins they are thinking of buying here for opinions on price/authenticity/etc.
The slabbed Half dollar No G farce: Download No-FG half vs. Grading Company Claims report here:
https://tinyurl.com/yalrstjz or higher resolution version: https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
20089 Posts
 Posted 12/23/2020  09:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

My first coin was a 1943 Lincoln Steel Cent back when they were new. Never stopped collecting since. Great coin for a starter. My only suggestion is to stay away from ebay. Wait for coin shows to reopen. stick around here and watch for what is for sale here after you get enough posts to buy.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1724 Posts
 Posted 12/23/2020  4:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mr T to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Definitely buy a book before anything else, and learn as much as you can.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2745 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2021  07:20 am  Show Profile   Check SilverCents's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SilverCents to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My first year was mainly searching through a few jars, looking for any silver that my grandparents had, along with wheat cents. Then I moved onto completing a Present Date - 1909 cent collection, but I only got down to the teens.

True variety collecting that actually resulted in me finding stuff only came the second year.
"Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get." - Forrest Gump
The concept of maturity is complex. While one's capacity to be mature can be correlated with age, someone's overall maturity and respect for life is not. Maturity is formed through experience and perception.
Human progress can only be achieved through trial and error.
Valued Member
Virgin Islands (U.S.)
63 Posts
 Posted 01/04/2021  07:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add STTScott to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My first year of collecting taught me that catalogs/guides like RedBook (USA couns) and Krause (World coins) are not only invaluable in regards to just basic info about particular coins and retail value guidelines, but Krause is like the Sears Christmas catalog chock full of coins you would never know existed otherwise. My first Krause catalog opened up a whole new collecting world for me.

My first year of collecting gave me reason to delve into important things like what to look for, wear-wise, to better gauge raw coins put up for sale on online auctions like ebay and lesser-known online auctions (typically full of dead peoples' stuff) where no guesses are made in the product description regarding possible/potential grade. Knowing how to ballpark things and buyer-beware yourself is invaluable.

My first year of collecting made me know the value of forums such as this one for not just info on particular topics, but for the give and take discussions and helpful advice, because working in a vacuum sucks and often leads to bad buying decisions.

Pillar of the Community
United States
992 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2021  12:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I began in 1974 with the trusty old blue folders for cents followed soon by one for Indian Head nickels. While the cents were pulled primarily from change, the nickels I bought from dealers and coin shows. Along the way I began buying books. This was before the internet. In today's world these things are literally at your finger tips. So that's my advice. Begin small an research as you progress.
ANA member
PAN Member
BCCS Member

There's no problem only solutions - the late, great John Lennon
Pillar of the Community
United States
3086 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2021  1:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When I was 7 I was give a whitman folder. Took me till I was 20 to complete it.

A few years ago I replaced the folder as it was getting worn, coins are still the same. Maybe one of 2 got replaced, but these are the coins from when I started.
Pillar of the Community
1110 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2021  2:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MOS0239 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I still have my old wore out original one. You can see where I had the coins taped in place so they wouldn't fall out. That's what 7 years olds did back then!

Pillar of the Community
United States
3086 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2021  2:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Love those Whitman folders!

Mine was in worse shape than yours, it had split into 2 parts.
Edited by hfjacinto
01/15/2021 2:48 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14876 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2021  3:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
You can see where I had the coins taped in place so they wouldn't fall out. That's what 7 years olds did back then!

Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Valued Member
United States
50 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2021  2:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ericalynn13 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I started back in the 80s. I think my biggest thing I like to share with new collectors is there are all levels of collectors, collect what you love and what makes you smile - finding it, buying it etc. Just because someone here or at a coin show says what you love has no monetary value does NOT mean it doesn't have value to you.

Not many will claim you will ever get finanically rich in this hobby, hahaha many would say exactly the opposite! Know your limits, don't spend your rent on that one cool coin -- haha unless the coin is that cool!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2708 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2021  3:23 pm  Show Profile   Check Paul Bulgerin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Paul Bulgerin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My father, who was a collector, took me to a small coin shop in Minneapolis, MN during the winter of 1970. I was thirteen years old. I bought a BU 1878-S Morgan silver dollar for $5.50.

I still have that coin. In my will it states that it goes to my oldest daughter.

Later in 1970, I bought a BU 1883 No Cents Liberty nickel and an 1858 LL Flying Eagle cent at a coin show in Minneapolis as well. I remember I paid $6.00 for the Flying Eagle.

However, several years later, these two disappeared. I've always suspected a friend of my brother took them, but could never prove anything. They have since been replaced.
Paul Bulgerin
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 709Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.81 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05