Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1986 Monster Box Of Silver Eagles?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 24 / Views: 1,342Next Topic
Page: of 2

United States
3 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2021  5:58 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Parkguy19 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Dad just passed and left us what he said is a 1986 sealed Monster Box of Silver Eagles. Absolutely nothing on the box, straps, or clasps indicates what's inside. We have Dad's receipt that he purchased them on December 24, 1986 and they were delivered on January 9, 1987, and he purchased them from Monex for $4,307. The receipt does not indicate the dates of the coins inside. Monex confirms the sale but has been no help since their offices have moved since 1986 and they say their records from them are in storage. Can anyone give advice on how I can confirm what's inside short of opening the box? Or advice where might I turn to find the date that the very first 1987 coins were produced (hopefully after 1/9/87). And lastly, confirmed 1986 or alternatively a opened box, any idea on the value of either or both?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7049 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2021  6:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF - your valued question is beyond my expertise but I'm confident that some experts will be along shortly to help.
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Pillar of the Community
1110 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2021  6:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MOS0239 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Dad just passed

Sorry for the loss.

Quote:
Absolutely nothing on the box, straps, or clasps indicates what's inside.

What kind of box? The box Monex shipped to your dad? Pictures of this box would be helpful.

Quote:
The receipt does not indicate the dates of the coins inside.

Does the receipt say how many coins?

Quote:
Can anyone give advice on how I can confirm what's inside short of opening the box?

Not from where I sit.

Quote:
Or advice where might I turn to find the date that the very first 1987 coins were produced (hopefully after 1/9/87).

? The first Silver Eagles were minted in 1986.

Quote:
And lastly, confirmed 1986 or alternatively a opened box, any idea on the value of either or both?

I think you need to know how many you have before we can tell you the value.

Or maybe I'm misunderstanding your entire post.
Edited by MOS0239
01/05/2021 6:31 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3267 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2021  6:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If they are bullion silver eagles there is a small premium for 1986 ASE, but honestly you won't know until you open up the box.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1635 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2021  7:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rothery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is it a green "Monster box" like this one? That contains 500 eagles. Average price I've seen for raw 1986 Silver Eagles lately is around 40$ each give or take a few dollars.

Everything can change in just one day.........

Best Lincoln roll find & Nicest WOODY find

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." - Will Rogers
Pillar of the Community
United States
2117 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2021  8:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a customer that purchased some monster boxes and gave them to his kids as well, but I'm not sure of the years.
I recently asked him about the value of a monster box and he thought they were north of the $17,000 range (+-$34 each) for current years. Price per coin tends to drop with larger quantities.
Words of encouragement are one of the major food groups. We need to consume them regularly to thrive and grow.
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2021  10:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Parkguy19 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In response to questions asked, it's a standard box of 500 eagles. The receipt doesn't say that but Monex did confirm that. Attached is a picture.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5070 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2021  10:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jack jeckel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
1110 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2021  09:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MOS0239 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sounds about right. 500 x $34.00 = $17,000

I bet that box is heavy!
Valued Member
United States
393 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2021  11:52 am  Show Profile   Check AES's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add AES to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Dad just passed and left us what he said is a 1986 sealed Monster Box of Silver Eagles. Absolutely nothing on the box, straps, or clasps indicates what's inside. We have Dad's receipt that he purchased them on December 24, 1986 and they were delivered on January 9, 1987...

Sorry for the loss. I don't know of any way to distinguish the actual mintage year without opening the box. But my money is on 1986 since they didn't start striking them until almost November 1986 and the order was placed in December.
Learn More...
United States
97930 Posts
Valued Member
United States
115 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2021  8:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add crusherjc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like you have a monster box of bullion 1986 silver eagles (ASE's). There are alot of people getting them slabbed by mint, as in "stuck at the SF Mint or West Point Mint" since the US Mint released information how many ASE's were stuck each year and by which mint facility. None of the bullion ASE's have any mint marks, and can only be identified by the serial number on the monster box. So it is very important not to open the box or cut those straps until you talk to a few people who can tell you what you have, as they might be worth more in it's original un-opened monster box. So sorry for your loss, but happy your Dad purchased that box and kept it that way for you.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1767 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2021  8:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How about an Early Releases pedigree on the very first ASEs! Could be a gold mine...
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2021  11:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Parkguy19 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bump111- I'm a novice here. What does "early releases pedigree" mean and how could that be a "gold mine?"
Pillar of the Community
United States
1767 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2021  11:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If the TPG can confirm that the items in the sealed box were released early in the production run, they will add that to the label. Lots of people want those early releases, I think due to the fact that the dies may be considered fresher? Others can comment on this better than I.
Pillar of the Community
United States
715 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2021  10:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gymcoachdon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Since you said you were a novice...
Understand that to get a premium price there will need to be a lot of work involved. It appears that ungraded (what you have) 1986 ASE's are selling on Ebay for about $40 to $50 each. If you extrapolate that to 500 coins, you get $20,000 to $25,000 value. But, you would need to make 500 ebay listings, pack 500 mailers, etc. If you sell them in bulk you will get less per coin, with less work for you. Someone may make more money by sorting through the coins, and finding suitable ones to grade, and getting a high premium for perfect or near perfect coins. That takes expertise, time, and some cash outlay for the grading company, with no guarantees that the grades will come back as expected.
The lure of an original unsorted box like this is that it may be loaded with a lot of perfect coins! Sometimes that leads people to pay more than the normal value on the hopes of hitting it big.
I am not an expert on ASE's, but this is how the collecting field works.
Edited by gymcoachdon
01/07/2021 11:51 am
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 24 / Views: 1,342Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.67 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05