Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

That's What I Call Optimism!

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 30 / Views: 1,040Next Topic
Page: of 2
Bedrock of the Community
United States
20095 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2021  09:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd only buy it if I could get a roll of those.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1261 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2021  11:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hadleydog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
While the reverse is interesting, the obverse does appear to have reached a terminal stage (if there is no luster present under the black toning).
Not enough pictures to make a real judgment call.
It does bother me that the toning is so uniform, I would expect to see a more crackled appearance.
I would pass on this piece.

As far as NGC vs PCGS, you don't see many coins crossing from NGC to PCGS at the same grade, they often drop at least a point. I think that says a lot.
Learn More...
United States
96136 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2021  1:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Meanwhile, the seller is getting excited seeing they have received so many views on this coin
Going viral for all the wrong reasons.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7637 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2021  02:03 am  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
While this coin is probably genuine toning, y'all do know it's not hard to force a slabbed coin to take on certain colors of toning by enclosing the slab to a sealed bag full of certain chemical gasses? I remember Coin World doing a big expose story on this in the 1990's. It's not hard. I would never pay more than a small premium for a toned coin, and only if it was a monster tone that improved the eye appeal.

My Two Cents anyways for what it's worth.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Pillar of the Community
United States
991 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2021  02:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add llewellin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This looks like it was artificially toned to me
Pillar of the Community
United States
7637 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2021  05:31 am  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The color banding is in the correct order, like a natural rainbow, and the reverse while strange looking is seen often enough on Morgan dollars, (anyone remember the 1888 Scarface here last year, went to Pawn Stars) also another Scarface Morgan sold at Heritage with very similar toning look. Robert Campbell has done some amazing talks at various conventions over the years on how to tell real vs. artificial toning on coins.

Part One:
https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/book/578921

Part Two:
https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/book/578922

My first time hearing this talk was even before this video was made, at an impromptu meet-up during an ANA Bull Session. Eventually he turned it into the talk he now gives at the coin shows and conventions. Bob really explains this subject better than almost anyone IMO. Hope you all might find the videos informative. I do wish there were some newer higher quality video clips, but still the information is good.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Pillar of the Community
United States
596 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2021  11:07 am  Show Profile   Check captainrich's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add captainrich to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
kanga:
Quote:
If I recall correctly, way back eBay used to charge a listing fee based on the opening price.
Items like this make me wish they still did it, and maybe even raise the listing fee.

I think this is the type of Buy It Now auction where the seller lists a high asking price, and then waits for people to put it on their Watch lists so he can send out 50% off messages.
Pillar of the Community
United States
991 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2021  11:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add llewellin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I consider the idea that natural and artificial toning to be fully distinguishable by color sequence to be pseudoscience. There are more aspects to a coin's appearance we pick up on when deciding from our own learned opinion whether a coin is intentionally/quickly or unintentionally/slowly toned
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1261 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2021  11:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hadleydog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I consider the idea that natural and artificial toning to be fully distinguishable by color sequence to be pseudoscience. There are more aspects to a coin's appearance we pick up on when deciding from our own learned opinion whether a coin is intentionally/quickly or unintentionally/slowly toned

Color sequence is critical, but has to be coupled with elevation chromatics and transition.
The videos provided by westcoin with Bob Campbell are excellent at explaining what to look for.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1828 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2021  1:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm surprised NGC gave this one a straight grade. That obverse toning is terminal state and what I consider environmental damage. Also, it is an AU58 coin at best.

@dave700x, This. I would be a hard no at any price.
Pillar of the Community
United States
509 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2021  2:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JasonKflo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
yuck
Pillar of the Community
United States
644 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2021  10:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add twslisa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I've never understood the appeal of coin toning. What is ugly on the table is supposed to be beautiful on a coin.

Hey, THQ, if you want to get rid of any bright rainbow toners, II might take then off your hands. Wouldn't want you to hold onto anything so ugly.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2202 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2021  2:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thq to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was talking about spoons twslisa. The last one I polished was a colonial coin-silver coffee spoon ca 1770, which was taking on the rainbow look. Nice and shiny now. The older the silver, the faster it seems to retone after a polish. The oldest spoon I have is a 1702 English dognose, which was darkening into a gold/bronze color. From the wear on the hallmarks these spoons have been polished hundreds of times.

This is the kind of natural toning I like on a coin. A light peachy gold color.

"Two minutes ago I would have sold my chances for a tired dime." Fred Astaire
Edited by thq
01/19/2021 2:09 pm
Learn More...
United States
96136 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2021  2:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Looks nice!
Pillar of the Community
United States
644 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2021  6:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add twslisa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

To each his own.
Edited by twslisa
01/19/2021 6:32 pm
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 30 / Views: 1,040Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.86 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05