Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is This Russia 1775 Catherine II 5 Kopeks Real?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 220Next Topic  
Valued Member

Singapore
52 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2021  09:21 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Coins Mania to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Dear all,

I have no experience with this type of coins and I need advise if this I paid USD34 for is a genuine coin? Weight is 52.2g, Diamenter 42mm to 43mm, thickness 4mm to slighly over 5mm

Also am I over paying?

Thanks in advances
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4006 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2021  09:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks real to me. A bit battered as is typical. The damage around the edges suggest that it should sell for no more than a VG price. Check NGC World coin price guide for the current book values.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4370 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2021  10:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree on authenticity. Here is another out-of-round example in similar condition that sold for about $25: https://wcn.pl/archive/188984?q=Rosja+1775

There are also recent sales on eBay.
Edited by tdziemia
01/17/2021 10:07 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
54703 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2021  10:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sure looks right to me.
Valued Member
Russian Federation
190 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2021  12:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slerk to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coin is not in the best condition. I see traces of corrosion on it.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
3316 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2021  04:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gxseries to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is genuine. Because of the way how these coins were struck, weight can vary from 40g to all the way up to 80g when the average should be around 50g.

Probably a little dear for the condition but hey you can't beat the history of such hockey puck and tell a story!
My partial coin collection http://www.omnicoin.com/collection/gxseries

My numismatics articles and collection: http://www.gxseries.com/numis/numis_index.htm Regularly updated at least once a month.
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 220Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05