Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

How Do You Acquire Additions To Your Collection?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 656Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4361 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2021  3:27 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Poll Question
Some recent threads have asked WHAT KIND of collector you are, of what your collecting GOALS are.

This poll asks HOW do you most often acquire your coins?

Since 2020 was an oddball year due to COVID, please consider the years before 2020 to choose which avenue you use most frequently for adding coins to your collection.

Since I am a collector of older world coins, my answer is Auctions - World... that is, most of my coin purchases the last few years come from auctions held outside the U.S., though I also buy some from online retailers.

Poll Choices
  Local Coin Store and Coin Shows
  Online Retailers (excluding eBay)
 EBay
  Coin Roll Hunting & Circulation
  Metal Detecting
  Auction Houses - North America
  Actions Houses - World (outside NA)
  Inheritance, donations

Edited by tdziemia
01/23/2021 8:47 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3056 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2021  3:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm probably in the minority but I do 50% of my purchases locally. I use eBay about 25% and other online stores about 20%, the other 5% is buying from other people or from classifieds.
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3385 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2021  3:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not sure if that's the correct ratio (it probably isn't), but in my mind it groups like this: 85% local coin stores and shows (including "local" stores/shows in areas I happen to travel to), 8% gifts from my father (not sure if that counts as inheritance, donations, or something else), 4% other gifts, 2% roll hunting, 1% online (not eBay).

The last 12 months had a lot more gifts from father and a lot less LCS visits than usual, but I think I still got much more stuff from the stores than from dad. (Seriously, why does he keep giving me random modern coins? Half the time I already have those anyway.)
Pillar of the Community
United States
1457 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2021  4:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SamCoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Almost exclusively coin roll hunting. All about modern errors and varieties.
My best finds:
1996 DDO-001/FS-101: http://goccf.com/t/372066
Two 2000 WAMs in a box: http://goccf.com/t/375240
1995 DDO-001/FS-101: http://goccf.com/t/376071#3225244
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8278 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2021  5:17 pm  Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can I just answer yes? I buy from LCS, eBay, other online sites, Auction Houses, CRH (when I have time).
My best finds: 1999-WAM:http://goccf.com/t/332161 1988-RDV-6:http://goccf.com/t/335954#2873459 1986-Off-center: http://goccf.com/t/335952
1999 WAM #2:http://goccf.com/t/338710&whichpage=1
1981 Double Struck In Collar: http://goccf.com/t/350199&whichpage=1
ANA id: 3194067
My Type Set: https://www.NGCcoin.com/registry/co...sets/236574/
If you want to buy something or sell something or just talk, shoot me a PM!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2920 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2021  5:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The poll only permits one selection--several options apply to me.
Pillar of the Community
United States
961 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2021  6:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add atticguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Remember, the question is HOW do you most often acquire your coins?. I also use various ways to find the coins I'm looking for, but I MOST OFTEN use eBay (maybe 90% or so).

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
8090 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2021  7:25 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Numerically in 2019 I acquired more coins from circulation when travelling abroad than by any other method, but my last trip abroad was to Costa Rica in March 2020. In the past year most of my additions have come firstly from trade with other CCF members and secondly from my local coin shop during the periods when it's been open for trade. I've bought a handful of coins on eBay and got some new UK issues by ordering from The Royal Mint.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14855 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2021  7:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I buy from coin shows and e-Bay , I will not buy from online dealers that do not have photos of their coins for sale .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Pillar of the Community
United States
575 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2021  8:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In 2020 I bought most often from eBay, but that was mainly because I didn't know about other sources such as Great Collections and Heritage and I didn't want to visit LCS due to COVID-19.
Recently however, I have checked out a few LCS and noticed they mostly have lower grade coins (G to F) which is not what I am looking for. I do find more and more online coin shops though that I tend to check out before heading to the larger auction websites.
Learn More...
United States
18606 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2021  8:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I bought a token from eBay a few weeks ago and that was my first numismatic purchase from the 'bay in several years I think. Most everything I buy comes from OUS auctions.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
United States
3817 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2021  8:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Joe2007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Local coin stores and small/regional coin shows and occasionally local auctions.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4361 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2021  8:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for responses thus far.

@grape and @ijn, as @attic points out, even if you buy through several channels, you should just pick out the most frequent. So if you buy 35% from LCS, 25% from eBay, 20% from online retailers and and bits here and there from CRH and auctions, you would answer LCS.

That may not seem like an answer that accurately represents you pattern, but ...

@NumisRob. That's a big OOPS on my part that I did not list as an option "from circulation." I've fixed it by combining with CRH (as it seems these are both coins in circulation?)
Pillar of the Community
United States
3977 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2021  12:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In 2020 (when it came to coins) most of my time was spent organizing and labeling my collection for when they get passed down and I'm gone. Used gold,silver,red,yellow and green stickers so my girl would know which have value and how much also which ones can be spent so another collector can find and then there are some which will be given away (contest time here on CCF..) However I did buy around 20 coins from eBay and the US mint. Haven't visited my LCS since early 2020.....California and the stupid shut-downs. 2021 will be smarter buys with value and more reading for knowledge. I guess you could break down my buys...eBay 40%, LCS 30% (miss talking to Vic) US Mint 20% and then On-line
auctions 10%
Forgot about CRH...been hoarding (and will be hoarding) my change and boxes from my bank to check during retirement years,still some years away but hay why not store them up before someone else finds them.
If it's not hockey, it's not a sport
Edited by Greasy Fingers
01/24/2021 12:10 am
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2197 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2021  12:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Most of my purchases are off Trade Me, a New Zealand based online auction site (I don't trust ebay and its not popular here).

I also buy a lot off several friends who have retired friends wanting to sell their collections and 2 old lady friends who own a thrift shop and sell me all the coins for a donation.

Neither of these options is in the poll, then again NZ is one of the few countries which is not that affected by Coronavirus (That may change with a leaked community case).
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Lithuania
36 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2021  4:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ezhik_Lt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For me it's missing two key options - trading coins with other collectors worldwide - I did at least 50 trades in 2020 and getting newly released coins right from National Banks (valid for Latvia, Estonia, Lithuania, Poland, Ukraine) and also from mints.
I rather a seller on eBay than buyer so getting coins from auctions would be a preferable option from the list.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 656Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.72 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05