Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1976 Bicentennial Quarter Never Seen One Like It... Need Help...

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 397Next Topic  

United States
11 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2021  01:42 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add anitapeeler to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Please help. Any information needed.
Found in an abandoned storage unit I purchased.

Is this an error? Rare? Any value? Is it on wrong planchet or lack of seal causing it to turn this color?
Love to read all answers. Thanks you in advance for your time.

Pillar of the Community
United States
5035 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2021  01:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Environmentally tarnished/stained/damaged. Not struck on wrong planchet, sorry. Obverse may have been plated or painted? This is not a mint error coin, it has received post mint damage ( PMD). Damage hurts value, but still worth 25 cents!

ša va bien aller

Valued Member
United States
126 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2021  02:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Altec12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree PMD. Looks like acid damage. Like maybe it was left in vinegar or something similar.
Learn More...
United States
18653 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2021  08:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@anita, could you please add the weight of this quarter to this thread? Thx.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
United States
3005 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2021  08:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Without knowing more, the coin has the appearance of being exposed to acid.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
8119 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2021  08:54 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Environmentally tarnished/stained/damaged.

The surfaces and color of this coin remind me of cupro-nickel coins I find on my local beach with my metal detector.
Edited by NumisRob
01/24/2021 09:02 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
54835 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2021  10:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The reverse in particular looks like it might have been exposed to some sort of chemical or acid. Weight would help.

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
United States
6986 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2021  11:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The slabbed Half dollar No G farce: Download No-FG half vs. Grading Company Claims report here:
https://tinyurl.com/yalrstjz or higher resolution version: https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
Valued Member
United States
201 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2021  6:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mrwhatisit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, most likely PMD, but one small possibility is that it could be missing clad layers on both sides. If that is the case, then this would be a significant error. Except your quarter has that tampered with look.
United States
11 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2021  5:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add anitapeeler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for l the great info. I'm out of town at the moment but may be able to find a pic where I weighed it so lms and I'll get back. Thanks for all the information
United States
11 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2021  6:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add anitapeeler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For all who requested the weight for more info. Lmk what you think.
Thanks all
Anita

United States
11 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2021  6:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add anitapeeler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I posted a picture of the weight. 5.33. Unsure of how to reply to separate people. New to this.
Thanks
Canada
13 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2021  7:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jumbolie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks sandblasted
Learn More...
United States
18653 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2021  8:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@anita, ok so a little below mint spec, but that makes sense if this coin was struck from a normal planchet and then exposed to acid/gritblasting. I feel very confident that this coin was struck on a normal clad planchet.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 397Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.64 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05