Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Old Proofs In Circulation?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 318Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
217 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2021  12:49 pm Show Profile   Check Diy89Nurm7's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add Diy89Nurm7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Great topic. Curious about experiences or information about older proofs from the mid-20th century and earlier making their ways to circulation.

Any personal experiences or true stories about circulation of these coins occurring? Was coin collecting that popular in the mid to late 19th century that proofs were available say for 3-cent pieces? How were proofs made available to the public in times without easy, wide media news?

Your ideas are appreciated.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1908 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2021  1:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ratman4762 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Did a lot of nickel roll searching. I found several early 60's proofs, Nothing earlier.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4428 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2021  1:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numisma to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My only Philadelphia proof from circulation was also a nickel, a 64.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4587 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2021  2:24 pm  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I ran across a 1986 Liberty Half Dollar in a roll of half dollars a year or so ago.
I was really surprised to see it. It wasn't in the best of shape. It had a giant fingerprint on it which may account for why I found it where I did. I put it in my poker jar.
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
Edited by chafemasterj
01/24/2021 2:25 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17230 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2021  10:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Supposedly the matte proof coins, especially the gold proofs, from the early 20th century were not popular and many of them wound up entering circulation. Same for the early modern proofs in the 1930's. They cost just barely above face value and when times got hard it wasn't a big loss to spend them.

As for the second question after 1858 the Mint did make proof coins available to collectors on a regular basis. Usually you could get just whatever individual coins you wanted, and in some years they only sold them as sets. Costs were still very low, for example a minor coin set that had the one, Three Cent Nickel and five cent nickel with a face value of 9 cents cost 12 cents. In 1883 the sold a set of all three nickels for that year, face value 15 cents cost 18 cents. A proof Seated dollar with a face value of $1, and a metal value of $1.04, cost $1.08. At some times the proof coins were offered on a circular the Mint published. Most collectors simply contacted the mint and requested the proof coins including banknotes and/or postage stamps in payment.
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4587 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2021  10:52 am  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice post Conder. I didn't know most of that information.
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
Valued Member
United States
217 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2021  6:24 pm  Show Profile   Check Diy89Nurm7's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Diy89Nurm7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, Condor, for the historical context. Needed to hear that.

Stay well!
Diy89Nurm7
Pillar of the Community
United States
729 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2021  4:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add suipakpaikungfu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What Condor said... Also, the mint released proof coins into "Circulation"
that had not been bought when the current year ended. Whether these actually
went into circulation or were bought at face value by favored dealers of that
time are unknown.
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 318Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.47 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05