Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1983 P Lincoln Unc Details Complicated

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 187Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
186 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2021  4:11 pm Show Profile   Check Diy89Nurm7's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add Diy89Nurm7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Greetings. I have a 1983 P unc details Lincoln Memorial cent with odd features that do not match acknowledged varieties and errors guides I know.

The obverse is straightforward but the obverse is irregular.

The reverse issues are in the upper left and lower left quadrants.

Upper Left:
1) Upper left memorial is very worn - almost to field;
2) D - ST are worn the same at their lowest points;
3) E of E Pluribus is weak, worn, and mostly invisible;
4) Striations to the northwest throughout the area and adjacent areas. They are almost perfectly parallel. L-U-R-I-B are relatively flatter than the rest of the word. UNUM is strong and even. In PLURIBUS, the right side of R and all of I are quite flat. Left part of B is also flat. Lines on the left portion of the area contain deeper ruts and rectangles and unlike die polishing lines you see in Morgan VAMs, e.g. Distance between lines seem greater than what I have seen in VAM errors, but those were silver coins.
5) There appears to be an "S" in the field between the upper left memorial and the D-S. It is quite apparent with modest magnification and raised, especially on its right side. The image does not change when I rotate the coin.
6) There is the possibility of a "9" nearby, but it is too faint to be sure. Ironically, the "E" of E-Pluribus disappears with coin rotation since it is so faint.

Lower Left:
1) Something between O and N in ONE. It appears raised and highly visible to the eye. I am not sure whether it truly a clash. Nearby marks probably exist but are not so clear.
2) Another "S" like image appears between the N and E in ONE.

I get that emerging tarnish impacts visibility and can fool the eye. So, before I order a Maclaren, what do you think? Is the coin worth investigating further with a grading service or is it just another dirty, worn coin?

Thanks for you help.
Diy89Nurm7

Valued Member
United States
186 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2021  4:27 pm  Show Profile   Check Diy89Nurm7's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Diy89Nurm7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Clarification in advance. "Lower Left 1)" Other marks near whatever is between O-N may just be tarnish. The item near the rim appears to be otherwise.

I attached more photos for this area that might help.
Diy89Nurm7

Learn More...
United States
18600 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2021  5:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@diy, the lightness of strike on STATES and the upper left corner of the Lincoln Memorial is most likely due to some grease in the die when this was struck. As to the possibility of a clash, I'm doubtful, but for sure you should check with an overlay to see what detail would have transferred over when the dies struck each other. Use the keyword "OVERLAY" to see plenty of examples of them posted here unless you'd like to make your own.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
United States
1123 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2021  11:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add That Coin Dude to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In addition to greas, that area of the LMC is often missing detail because of Lincoln's coat on the obverse taking most of the available metal.
Keep track of your collection: https://en.ucoin.net/?ref=Ux0E0if

My collection: https://en.ucoin.net/uid112788
A friendly coin dude that is here for you!
A coin collector from the Midwest USA.
I specialize in minting varieties and coin identification.
I am online 3+ times every day for 6-12 hours.
My best US coin find: http://goccf.com/t/387871
Valued Member
United States
186 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2021  6:39 pm  Show Profile   Check Diy89Nurm7's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Diy89Nurm7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I appreciate your thoughts.

There is obviously some tarnish or dotting in places. With that said I am curious about a reasonable grade with a mix of sharp details and blems. Any thoughts?

Also, there are mysterious marks and/or a couple of "S"-like marks. Any guesses on whether these unexpected marks might add to the coin's value? There seems to be demand in the market for varieties and errors, but this coin does not seem to match any expected variation. Thoughts? Might the problems add or subtract from the coin's value, which is not too much to begin with?

Stay well,
Diy89Nurm7
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 187Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.64 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05