Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Wrong Planchet? Silver 2001-D North Carolina State Quarter

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 369Next Topic  
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2021  6:47 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Tjen55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello all, my mother worked as a bank teller for years and used to bring me home cool coins for my collection every now and then. This is one of them, it was brought home around 2002/2003. Any ideas what this is from? It appears to be silver, looks like silver and sounds like silver however it is a D mark and not an S as these typically are. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've provided pictures of the coin on both sides as well as the edge against another quarter of the same year. I've scoured the internet and found nothing about it.

Edit: the grayish stains on the face side of the coin are some sort of residue, it is not discoloration.

Edited by Tjen55
01/24/2021 6:49 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
37631 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2021  6:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. Most likely a silver or platinum plated coin after it left the U.S.mint. Also, never hold coins like that,it causes finger prints and will lower any potential premium. Hold by the edge only.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2021  6:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tjen55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you and thanks for your answer, how would I go about finding out?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
48654 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2021  6:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
On of the plated examples sold on HSN that were plated. They sold these to the rubes back when the 50 States program was a hot item. Now they are being spent as face value as that is all they are worth. A plated coin turn an alter surface. It removes collector value. Not silver. A scratch on the incuse area on the reed will show the copper:

Spender.
Only San Francisco coins had proof silver sets and clad proofs with the 'S' mintmark on them.

The weights were different on the clad and the silver quarters. Note above.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
01/24/2021 7:00 pm
Learn More...
United States
18600 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2021  7:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
how would I go about finding out?

The best non-destructive method is to weigh this quarter.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
54539 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2021  9:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
United States
4954 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2021  10:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with all of the above. Sorry it's not better news. It seems like plating would add value, but it actually substracts from it. Please keep looking!

to the CCF!

ša va bien aller

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11351 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2021  02:40 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The weight should confirm what it really is. Just from the images, it looks plated.
In Memory of Crazyb0
12-26-1951 to 7-27-2020
In Memory of Tootallious
3-31-1964 to 4-15-2020

"If we continue to accumulate only power and not wisdom, we will surely destroy ourselves."
-Carl Sagan
Learn More...
United States
95662 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
1325 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2021  2:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
yes on a quarter it should be clear if it's under 6.25 grams (and should be under 6 grams)then it's been plated. it's harder to do this with cents and dimes because the variation in the weight difference is much slimmer between the two when factoring the mint tolerance also. but it works on the quarters.

clad quarter should be 5.67 grams plus the plating. even heavily plated it won't get over 6 grams.

Mint tolerance is +/- 0.227g for the clad quarter

Also I'll guess it's platinum plated as most of them that were professionally made for sale to people were either done in platinum or gold plating.
Mint tolerance is +/- 0.194g for the 90% silver quarter.

even at maximum weight of tolerance with plating the clad quarter doesn't make it to 6 grams.
even if a 90% silver is light and at the minimum tolerance, it shouldn't be below 6 grams.

the edge scraping thing shouldn't be necessary to find out, just a gram scale that is at least 2 decimal places, and doesn't round.

Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 369Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.52 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05