Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is This 1799 Dollar Authentic?

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 24 / Views: 827Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
598 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2021  8:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
There are still lots of high-priced coins out there that aren't slabbed. Perhaps it was once slabbed as a details coin for cleaning, and the owner preferred it raw.

Actually, that is a typical shady eBay sellers trick: crack out a Details coin and pass it off as a problem-free raw coin.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17230 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2021  4:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm not sure. It looks like it *might* be a B-17 but I'm no expert on these

Not a B-17, looks like B-8, and I think genuine.
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
United States
6977 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2021  5:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not a professional on these for sure, but here is a great site for them. I have used it to tell fakes before when attributes do not show up:
http://www.earlydollars.org/wizarddate3.htm
The slabbed Half dollar No G farce: Download No-FG half vs. Grading Company Claims report here:
https://tinyurl.com/yalrstjz or higher resolution version: https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
Edited by Earle42
01/27/2021 5:40 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
598 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2021  6:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Not a professional on these for sure, but here is a great site for them. I have used it to tell fakes before when attributes do not show up:
http://www.earlydollars.org/wizarddate3.htm

Using that site, then I think this coin is a fake.
Have a look at the position of the last two 9s in authentic coins: http://www.earlydollars.org/wizarddata.asp?ID=109
The 9s are either closer to the drapery than the bottom rim, or are half way between the drapery and the bottom rime.
The 9s in the eBay coin however are almost on top of the bottom rim.
Additionally, the bottom of the L in "LIBERTY" has a shank, while for a real coin it is straight. In fact, every letter in the eBay coin is overly gothic.
Edited by NumisEd
01/27/2021 6:35 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2819 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2021  6:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@NumisEd, there are 22 die pairs for the 1799 bust dollars. This one has a regular date, but the date position varies depending on the obverse die used. Here is a comparison of the eBay coin (on top) and a genuine 1799 variety B-8 from NGC. The forking at the base of the letters and the trailing of the stars toward the rims is a result of a deteriorating die.

Pillar of the Community
United States
598 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2021  7:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
...unless the NGC coin is also a fake.
Anyhow, I would NEVER buy a raw coin like this one on eBay.
Valued Member
United States
426 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2021  8:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think it may well be a fake.

The 'so-called die cracks look more like casting lines on the stars leading to the edge. they are all too uniform and regular to be random die cracks.

Look at the Liberty at the coins top. The horizontal bar of the 'B' 'E' 'R' and 'T' is weak like it was worn out but the accents of these letters is strong and barely worn out.

Seeing the wear patterns on the forehead, Cheek, Nose, Shoulder, and Breast is the ONLY places I see wear and what is missing are scratches you would find on a coid that has this much wear.

I found an almost identical coin on the ETSY site. more worn than this one, it shows scratches, and dings. And the stars and cross bars on the lettering look more to what I would expect to see on a circulated coin of this age.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/922485...968cfa1abf0d

Just MHO

Edited for bad spelling and overall terrible typing skills.
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin
Edited by Dearborn
01/27/2021 9:00 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
54774 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2021  8:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Starting to get over my head. Just interested in learning now.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2819 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2021  11:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is a subtle die crack through LIB on the obverse, and through ES on the reverse, consistent with a B-8 die marriage. The lines running from the stars to the rim aren't die cracks, they are metal flow lines from Die Deterioration. Here is a graded bust dollar with similar flow lines from a late state die. There's no way to guarantee authenticity from photos alone, but I don't see anything that would indicate a fake.

Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 24 / Views: 827Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.61 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05