Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Top 4 Coin Grading Companies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 282Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
59 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2021  9:34 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Matthew23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I ran into a situation tonight were this guy was trying to sell me a coin and it was supposedly a ms69 Mercury dime fb 1941 graded by some way off the wall grading company, and supposedly he has been in coins for 56 years, I know you have your top 4 grading companys PCGS, NGC, anacs, and icg, he told me that there were over 200 grading companys, well it might be but I really only see 4 of them being reliable. Wanted to bring this up and see what y'all think. I would appreciate y'alls insight. Thanks
Pillar of the Community
1110 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2021  9:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MOS0239 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
200?.. No way! What guy was trying to sell you? Someone on eBay? There might be grading companies in other countries but the 4 you mention are the only major 4 we know.
Valued Member
United States
59 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2021  9:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Matthew23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No it was not on ebay actually somewhat local guy ive dealt with in the past but felt like he was trying to rip me off wont be getting my business anymore.
Pillar of the Community
1110 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2021  10:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MOS0239 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Glad you walked away.
Valued Member
United States
59 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2021  10:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Matthew23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
He also said that NGC was one of the worst grading companys and he said that one of the best was hallmark havent ever heard of it he said they was out of business.
Pillar of the Community
1110 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2021  10:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MOS0239 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Don't walk away, run away!
Valued Member
United States
185 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2021  11:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PNWType to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have heard of Hallmark! That's basically an antique at this point though (sold to PCI in '91), some old companies like Hallmark and Accugrade have been out of the market for a while, but I believe their grades stand, at least for old standards.

These days, the only real reason to buy something in an old holder like that is the novelty of it, I know slab collectors are out there. Not my deal, but it exists.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8278 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2021  11:34 pm  Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Top 4 in order of ROI are PCGS, NGC, ANACS, ICG
My best finds: 1999-WAM:http://goccf.com/t/332161 1988-RDV-6:http://goccf.com/t/335954#2873459 1986-Off-center: http://goccf.com/t/335952
1999 WAM #2:http://goccf.com/t/338710&whichpage=1
1981 Double Struck In Collar: http://goccf.com/t/350199&whichpage=1
ANA id: 3194067
My Type Set: https://www.NGCcoin.com/registry/co...sets/236574/
If you want to buy something or sell something or just talk, shoot me a PM!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
37690 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2021  05:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with the top 4 mentioned. I think I seen a web page that lists all the grading companies that was in business at one time or another and it was long.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Edited by John1
01/27/2021 05:22 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
5145 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2021  09:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are a few others that were respected in their day.
Hallmark, PCI and SEGS come to mind.
But they couldn't keep up with the biggies.
Their grading slipped and WORSE they had no online database of what they had graded.
That's why eBay didn't approve them as legitimate graders.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2926 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2021  09:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So with all that, what did the coin actually look like?
Edited by ijn1944
01/27/2021 09:26 am
Valued Member
United States
59 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2021  1:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Matthew23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I dont know what the coin looked like but when I asked him on the phone he said probably not he's only graded up to 65 before so thats really what through me off trying to sell me something that he really doesn't even know if its the grade and graded by a unreliable grader.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17222 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2021  5:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
200 companies? No I don't think so. I've only seen about 160. (not kidding)

Quote:
I have heard of Hallmark!

There have been three companies by that name. The first was a currency grading company from the 1970's. I have only seen two examples but people at NGC's currency grading service have told me that they do come in from time to time. Unfortunately they aren't allowed to supply me with one of the empty holders, (The two I have seen were too much for me to buy.)

Well the number is going up. Trying to do some searching for Hallmark currency I ran across a faper money forum with a list of at least 50 more currency grading services I've never heard of. So we are probably over 200 companies now.
The second was a good coin grading service (Q David Bowers was partial owner), when they closed down PCI bought out their supplies and equipment and became the fifth generation PCI slabs.

The third was a basement slabber that used generic shells and just sealed them with gold labels wrapped over the top and bottom similar to SGS. They weren't around long.

I have examples of the last two. If anyone has an affordable HALLMARK currency slab I could get or even just pictures of one I would be grateful.
Gary Schmidt
Edited by Conder101
01/27/2021 6:16 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 282Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.58 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05