Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2018 Lincoln Cent Planchet Flaw

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 427Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
85 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2021  11:14 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Scuba1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I almost threw this one into the cull pile, thinking PMD myself, but loupe'd it and saw something odd. The rings on the reverse were no doubt formed pre-strike. This looks obvious to me due to nothing disturbing or distorting any of the devices as you can see. Where the darkest and largest 'ring' terminates (or begins) on the left side of the reverse on the rim at UNITED, the rim is completely intact. There is another raised ring that runs along the bottom through the shield, shield not disturbed, and continues through OF and AMERICA and beyond. There's just a lot going on with this coin that is better left to see in the pictures. I am just not sure what caused this during the creation of the planchet. Please take a look and, as always, Thank You for your replies and comments.

Valued Member
United States
80 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2021  11:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IsThisAnything to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If I saw this, I would rule it a cup holder coin. Can you tell me more about what tells you it happened pre-strike?
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
85 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2021  11:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Scuba1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hello ITA. Please look at the pictures closely. Not a cup holder coin. This was my question: What happened pre-strike? I do not know.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4969 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2021  11:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The rings on the reverse were no doubt formed pre-strike.

No doubt post mint damage w/zinc rot. I promise you it did not leave the mint in this condition. Spend it while you can.

ša va bien aller

Edited by merclover
02/20/2021 11:48 pm
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
85 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2021  11:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Scuba1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
No doubt post mine damage w/zinc rot. I promise you it did not leave the mint in this condition

I am very clear that there is zinc rot on this coin. I have been collecting Lincoln's for quite awhile. I also promise you it did not leave the mint in this condition with zinc rot as clearly shown, totally agree. I'm not sure how far you scrolled down to see all of the pictures but please explain to me the raised ring and the other incuse and raised defects on this coin that did not damage the devices. Please explain how PMD would cause this. Thank you.
Edited by Scuba1
02/20/2021 11:47 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
646 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2021  11:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHI to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Residue or adhesive from another coin or coins stuck to it for awhile, maybe acidic and ate through in areas.
Best Find - 1976 D WQ DDO-001 http://goccf.com/t/382777

Interesting find - 1947 S over inverted S http://goccf.com/t/368005
Pillar of the Community
United States
4969 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2021  11:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
PMD can occur a million different ways. Something acidic was sat on this coin (probably coffee) that ate into the surface. Zinc rot came later, and is still eating away on this poor cent. Zinc rot can cause the surface to be raised where the rot is eating away happily. If you are positive it's a mint error, send it into a TPG and slab that puppy (but slabbing won't stop the zinc rot).

ša va bien aller

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
85 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2021  12:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Scuba1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If you are positive it's a mint error, send it into a TPG and slab that puppy (but slabbing won't stop the zinc rot).

I love it Merclover! I've seen a lot of Linc's and can predominately rule out PMD and the such (not saying this is a bonafide mint error.....) but I'm just not sure viewers are looking closely at the entirety of the pictures. Can anyone see the rounded raised circle at the bottom of the coin in the CLOSE UP pics? If it was eaten away by some acidic substance it would have eaten into the devices as well.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
37642 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2021  04:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Look PMD to me.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
54577 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2021  08:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Several possible causes, but definitely post-mint damage.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
8793 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2021  1:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It can't be a planchet flaw and there are only certain things that can cause an error during the striking of the coin. It doesn't really matter how it happened, what is important is that it cannot be an error so therefore it is PMD.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2881 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2021  1:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Post strike damage--cool example at that. I'd drop it in a 2x2. I suppose one could roll the dice and submit it to a TPG.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
85 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2021  2:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Scuba1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all very much for your replies. I'm not one to keep 'beating a dead horse' so to speak but I'm just not convinced this is PMD (I do value everyone's thoughtful opinions though). Not that an acetone bath will remove zinc rot, which it does have no doubt, but I may try it to see if some of the stuff on the reverse is gunk so I can maybe get a better feel for this one. The more I look at the less than spectacular pics I posted the more I can see how it definitely and absolutely appears to be PMD without having this coin in hand. I thought the very same thing myself until I took a very close look. Thanks again for your responses!
Edited by Scuba1
02/21/2021 2:46 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
37642 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2021  5:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you send it to a trusted TPGer please let us know what they say.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3307 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2021  5:24 pm  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
soak it in pure acetone for a couple of hours, then have another look at it.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
416 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2021  8:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add td5173 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
With everyone PMD and soak it
Edited by td5173
02/21/2021 8:55 pm
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 427Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.7 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05