Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1909-S VDB Wood Grain?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 23 / Views: 492Next Topic
Page: of 2

United States
2 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2021  10:18 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Gac79 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have the opportunity to buy this coin, but the wood grain is quite unique. Is this desirable or not? Is it even accurate to call this wood grain since there aren't lines?

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1949 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2021  01:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Woodies are a matter of personally preference. Personally, I tend to find it distracting more times than not, but occasionally I spot an example I don't mind, or even like.
Pillar of the Community
United States
509 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2021  04:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smat45 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
w/Ty2020b

In this example...it almost looks like cleaning lines...a little distracting for my taste.
What does the holder say about the grade and what the price is would probably influence my decision?
Most would consider this the KEY date...for the same money can you find a more attractive example not so distracting?
Good luck and let us know how it turns out!
smat
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14838 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2021  07:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To CCF , can you please post a photo of the reverse .
obverse looks like a woody and not too shabby in my opinion .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Pillar of the Community
United States
2881 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2021  07:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Appears to be a woody. I have hundreds of wheat woodys--some look like your example, and others have the more classic woody appearance. Wonder what the reverse looks like?

Is the coin in a PCGS holder? If so, how has PCGS graded/attributed the coin? If they feel it's been cleaned, it's almost certain they would call that out.
Edited by ijn1944
02/22/2021 07:51 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
2881 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2021  07:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is this the coin?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1909-S-VDB...24556686868?

PCGS, and has a CAC sticker too.
Edited by ijn1944
02/22/2021 07:59 am
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2021  08:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gac79 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, that's the coin in the eBay link. Certainly graded well with the cac sticker to boot. Just wondering what others think of the appearance.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2881 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2021  08:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Personally, I could use a nice 1909 S VDB as a hole filler in a 'better' Dansco cent collection. I'd pick it up, but that's me. Unfortunately, I can't 'pull the trigger' yet.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1949 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2021  08:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To elaborate on my first point now that we've seen the listing. On LWC's I've always found the obverse to be more distracting than the reverse. The devices tend to meld together, especially in pics. In hand, it's far easier to discern remaining detail and strike, but at first glance it gives the appearance of a more worn/lesser struck example than it really is. For me that's a turn off..... again, personal taste. I do agree with VF20 on this one.

Second point. This one looks to be well on its way to hitting a premium (it may not), but I'm not one to pay a premium for a woodie, or a CAC coin. I own them, but would not pay the attached premium that sometimes comes with them.

At the end of the day, you just have to decide if YOU like this example, if so, set your price you're willing to pay and go for it. If not, there's plenty of other examples in this grade to be had. You will always find people that like and dislike just about any example for different reasons.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
54577 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2021  08:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, a reverse pic would help. I personally don't care for woodies either, but I know some people collect them by date.

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
United States
5539 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2021  09:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chase007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
can you please post a photo of the reverse .

to the Forum
Learn More...
United States
95713 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
1734 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2021  09:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am a big fan of woodgrained copper and I WOULD pay a small premium for one. In the case of this coin not so much. CAC agrees with the grade, but it looks to me like the coin may have seen a cleaning. A circulated coin with alloy issues can mask a multitude of problems. The grunge / toning isn't uniform and that doesn't appeal to me. I would pass on this example.

This raises a question I've had for a while - does striking pressure change the alloy in some way at / near the devices? That may account for the darker toning around them.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4494 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2021  09:46 am  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I tend to agree with Ty2020b.
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
Pillar of the Community
United States
1875 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2021  10:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dbrablec to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like it...

i am a fan of the "woodie's"...
Pillar of the Community
United States
1325 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2021  12:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think if you managed to pull it off for $850 or less it would be a good deal. I'm not a fan of this particular ones visual appearance, but maybe you are.
I wouldn't go past $900 for it though even if I liked it's appearance, and really I think it will go past $900 with the amount of interest it already has, and 6 days left.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 23 / Views: 492Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.64 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05