Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1941 Mercury Dime... My First!

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 472Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
389 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2021  5:37 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Nells250 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Just received my first Mercury dime, a 1941 D.

I know it isn't an earth shattering item or worth a "mint" (rimshot) but the first time I saw one I said I needed one.

Now... since I am new to all this, I peeked at my Red Book and tried to see what grade it is. I am thinking somewhere around EF-40?

I see that the "diagonal bands" are important (still visible) but the "braids and hair before ear" are throwing me off a little as I am not 100% sure I know where the ear is supposed to be! After all... there are big ears, small ears... corn ears... and most people do NOT have wings on the side of their head!

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
904 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2021  6:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coin, Nells! I like the strong rims.

The Mercury dime is one of my favorite designs.

I agree with EF-40.
Valued Member
United States
389 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2021  6:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nells250 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
:-)

I was looking and looking and rarer dates with tons of wear still go for some money, so I had to choose a more common year to get something that hadn't been worn to metal tissue paper!

So according to my book, at EF-40, I paid a fair price for it. That's good. Someday I'll pick up a nicer one but I am happy with this little one for now.

I like lots of detail in small packages!
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
383 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2021  6:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 88isgreat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coin @Nells. Good looking example. Many of these get the ugly black tarnish from circulation and / or poor storage conditions.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
904 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2021  6:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm all about just collecting nice examples of the design types.

The Standing Liberty quarter and Walking Liberty half dollar are two other designs from the same era that are favorites of mine.
Valued Member
United States
389 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2021  6:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nells250 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Weeeellllll... I confess... I DID wash it with soap/water as it was dusty! I hope I didn't break TOO MANY coin-collecting rules!

;-)
Valued Member
United States
389 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2021  6:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nells250 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Classic Coins - I am learning that the Standing Liberty quarter wear the heads off... I can see how that may happen.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
904 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2021  6:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As long as you don't rub it with anything. Rubbing it with a cloth will put hairline scratches on the surface.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15059 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2021  6:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can't really tell it's been cleaned but reframe from doing that again . It has a trace of underling luster , I can see it as EF-45 .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1676 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2021  7:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rothery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Just received my first Mercury dime, a 1941 D.

Congrats! Solid XF40
Everything can change in just one day.........

Best Lincoln roll find & Nicest WOODY find

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." - Will Rogers
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
56001 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2021  9:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
EF-40 sounds about right.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4235 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2021  12:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Check out PCGS.com/photograde...pick the denomanation and series type, start at MS-70 and view the photos working backwards to see the amount of detail lost to equal the grades....This should help you in your grading skills, also particate in the posts of "you vs. PCGS/NGC...ect" in the grading forum and don't be afraid to post your opinion. Helps out on the learning curve.

Good luck on future pick-ups and have fun...

Edited: remember no more soap and water.....only acetone and learn(experiment) on crummy coins before trying on the nicer ones.
I'm by no means a pro and will never claim to be...just my 2 cents
A smile costs nothing to give or receive....GF
If it's not hockey, it's not a sport
Edited by Greasy Fingers
02/25/2021 12:53 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
9946 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2021  08:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm in at XF40 on this one
Pillar of the Community
United States
2900 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2021  09:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The example has luster remaining in the protected areas. The coin has hairlines in the fields. It looks like it has been cleaned. XF Details Cleaned
Valued Member
United States
389 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2021  1:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nells250 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hmmmm... re: scratches in field... can't that happen just by being in pockets for decades? (passing the buck... I... know... NOTHING!)

Incidentally, if a simple soap/water cleaning can be so evil, how do coins even LAST more than a few years? I mean, if they can "wear" from a simple sudsy wash, how can they hold up to a lifetime of circulation?

Are they made out of that infamous stuff called "Butter Metal"?

(DISCLAIMER: "Butter Metal" is what my boyfriend and I like to call any ultra-cheap item, usually a cheap tool or car part, made from some sort of mystery material that shouldn't exist due to its low quality)
Edited by Nells250
02/25/2021 1:47 pm
Valued Member
United States
389 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2021  2:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nells250 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
WOW....... look at all the possible grades!
https://www.PCGS.com/photograde#/Mercury/Grades

Much easier to understand when you see actual graded coins. Still, GEESH talk about PICKY! ;-) Some of the differences are VERY difficult to see/understand.

Anyhoo, now I am also thinking my simple little dime might be a slight bit better than 40...

As for the soapy wash, here are the pics the seller used for the auction:

Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 472Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.96 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05