Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Are RPMS? What Is Needed To Be A RPM?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 1 / Views: 146Next Topic  
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50165 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2021  7:48 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
RPMs: What is a RPM? Yes, it is a variety coin called a RPM, these are mintmarks that are punched into the die, that didn't line up with a previous punch. Because the are punched by hand, they locations can vary, the depth can vary and the width and height can vary. Because there are variables, when they are not right over exactly, then the mintmark can be taller or wider. Sometimes they are too close to the devices, or on the bust design. Sometimes there are more than one on the die. (Sometimes as many a 4 and more) But in order for this to be a RPM (Re-Punched-Mintmark), there must be spread/separation from another punch that is seen on the mintmark. Its not being a larger mintmark. It is not Machine Doubling on a mintmark. The mis-punch must be raised above the field in the design of a punch. There are different types of RPMs, but the purpose of this is to show that on a RPM, there needs to be enlargement of the mintmark. If in a direction, there should be one or both sides see on the mintmark area. Some RPM mintmarks are not even touching each other, but are called a separated mintmark. Some have notches on the serifs, the are called rotated mintmarks and tilted mintmarks. Along with the 8 directions they can be seen on. But without spread on the RPM, it is just a normal mintmark. Hope this helps.

Note on the examples above. These are Nickel RPMs. They are all RPMs, because they show spread/notching. Also note, they are enlarged, because two mintmarks can't have spread and not be larger than normal.
First directions of RPMs:

Different types of RPMs:

The RPM is seen as a partial copy of the punch. These images will help you see the RPM in a lot different way:

So from this angle, you can see the separate punches with the mintmark punch:

Probably the year with the most RPMs is 1960. I've heard that when they had to stop using the small date dies, that year, they were getting way behind in production. So when the mintmark punches were put on the dies, it was a rush job and thus so many RPMs that year.
One of my favorites I enjoyed for years is a 1959-D RPM-009:

This shows how not only do the dies go through a wear process, also the RPMs are also affected and age as more and more coins are struck from those dies.
Another one I find interesting is the 1958D-1MM-021:

The 1955S-1MM-001 is also interesting to me:

But note on this one, you can see the separate punches rising above the fields next to the date. Looks like he thought it was too close on the fist punch, added a second one, and felt it to was too close also. So it was moved into the first position.
So seeing a spread on the RPMs are important. The common RPMs are the tilted ones, there are thousands of these that are too minor to list. These have the little notches on the upper or lower serifs (or both affected sometimes more than once). The direction ones I like the best they easier to see. What is the most expensive RPM I've purchased?

It was a find I found on eBay. Someone was selling these slabbed. I asked him if he had any that were not slabbed and I got this one for about half of what the slabbed ones were going for. So I hope I answered most the questions that you have on RPMs. If not, this is the place to ask.

CoopHome : What Are Rpms? What Is Needed To Be A Rpm?

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
02/26/2021 7:59 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
649 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2021  10:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smat45 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is from a 63-D Washington quarter.

MD or RPM?

smat

Previous TopicReplies: 1 / Views: 146Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.47 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05