Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Off Center Lincoln Cent

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 342Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
109 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  09:14 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add PPorro to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Does the amount of off center alter the value? Or is one like any other. This is mine and no I'm not worried about value, just wondering how the amount might alter the collectible demand?

Almost a slug!

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
55985 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  10:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great example for sure!
Valued Member
United States
50 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  10:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Christian18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Usually the value increases with the % offset as long as the date is visible. Off center errors with no date are worth less.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50146 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  10:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks almost like a miss. Struck off center about 90%. Something interesting is seen on the reverse side. Do you see the marks towards the edge of the coin on each side of the part that made it on to the planchet. Those are the edge gutter line of the die. Sometimes you see these on that area. That gutter area forms the rim. So I'm guessing the setup for the dies were Hammer die, was the obverse, the Anvil die was the reverse die.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9475 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  10:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For fun I tried figuring how "off center" this is with PhotoScape.
I made the width 1000 square.
Then I cropped the struck portion and kept the width at 1000.

The struck portion is 115 high, so 1000-115 = 885 or 88.5% off center.
It would be neat to put together a progression set of Lincoln Cents in stages of how off center they are struck. A set of them would probably fetch more than the individuals added together.

I would search for completed items on eBay for similar & values.

My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Learn More...
Canada
9600 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  10:33 am  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I saw this once on the wall at a coin shop, and took a quick photo with my phone. No idea what the source is, but I'd love to get a nice laminated copy for my own coin desk.

"Discovery follows discovery, each both raising and answering questions, each ending a long search, and each providing the new instruments for a new search." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Bedrock of the Community
United States
38532 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  10:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Would be neat if a member would fix up that photo so we can book mark it to use later. Brighter and a bit more in focus.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
United States
109 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  1:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PPorro to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wonder if anyone has an original? I'm going hunting which equals searching. The source from the image is Lonesome John. Merry Mfg. Company

https://coinweek.com/coins/error-co...e-1933-2013/

John P. Devine, a founding member of the Combined Organizations of Numismatic Error Collectors Of America (CONECA)

Maybe CONECA or @MikeDiamond could provide a pristine copy? If they don't mind having an online version for collectors?

OK thanks, date matters. Good to know. Yes I see the marks thanks for more education.

Since I got it, probably before 1990, the color, likely to be a Memorial coin, that's about all I can add.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3629 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  2:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice find!
Edited by ijn1944
03/03/2021 2:01 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3059 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  2:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Off center errors with no date are worth less.
I disagree
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1676 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  2:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rothery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Neat looking cent - I'd take that one over the more common 20-40% off centers with a date any day.
Everything can change in just one day.........

Best Lincoln roll find & Nicest WOODY find

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." - Will Rogers
Pillar of the Community
United States
1412 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  2:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
any more off center and it's a blank planchet. LOL
Pillar of the Community
United States
631 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  3:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add willy13 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice error! With that much off center its probably not possible to see the whole date, and certainly very rare to see any of the date. Did you weigh it to see if its copper? Looks copper to me from pics.
Valued Member
United States
109 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2021  1:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PPorro to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@willy13 I just ordered a electronic scale.

I'm kind of a returning collector and I'm digging trough boxes, books, jars and things. But after sending out a search party in my back office I found my old triple beam which says the cent is 3.1 grams.

This is actually good work, because I misplaced the electric stapler in about 2014, and I still can't find it.
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 342Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.64 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05