Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1858-O Seated Liberty Half Dollar W B-19.

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 787Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United States
181 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2021  2:19 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Finn70 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Just received this novelty in the mail today. It is a Seated half dollar that was recovered from the "SS-Republic" in August of 2003 after spending 138 years in the Atlantic in 1700' of water since October 25, 1865 when the steamer had sunk in a hurricane 100 miles off the coast of Savannah, Georgia. There was a reported $400,000 in gold and silver on board on her voyage from New York to New Orleans. The coins were being sent to aid the reconstruction movement in the post civil war. Most of the coins recovered (some 51,000) saw little to no circulation. Any opinions as to a details grade?
The coin also has four errant 8's. Two in the rock just below Liberty's skirt, and two more in the denticles below the 8's in the date.

Edited by Finn70
03/05/2021 11:20 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
56001 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2021  5:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very high AU, I'm guessing. Most attractive.
Valued Member
United States
181 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2021  12:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn70 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Despite being in 1700 feet of saltwater for the past 138 years there is still luster remaining in the folds of her skirt and within the eagles feathers as well. The fields are matte and you especially can see the "shipwreck effect" from Liberty's foot up to the last 3 stars on the obverse. I am absolutely happy with this purchase!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2989 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2021  01:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting history, and remarkably well preserved for sitting in salt water for over 100 years. Guess there's not much oxygen at the bottom of the ocean. Agree with high AU at a minimum.
Pillar of the Community
United States
649 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2021  04:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smat45 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Like the history lesson as well as the coin!
I'll go with high AU as well.
Thanks for sharing!
smat
Pillar of the Community
United States
9946 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2021  11:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU58 details. cool coin.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
22024 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2021  1:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU-58 details, great piece of history.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2205 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2021  4:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pretty amazing this has held up that well. Very cool piece!

I'd say AU Details as well. Wouldn't be surprised if they called it UNC Details.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2205 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
7783 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2021  6:00 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
UNC Details "Improperly Cleaned" Very neat coin.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2¢ variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
56001 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2021  6:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Finn70 - Can you share the results?
Valued Member
United States
181 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2021  10:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn70 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry if I was misleading, but I was just asking for grading opinions on the coin that I had presented. The slab that I had pictured in the original posting, did not receive a official grade designation by NGC due to its unique status. I appreciate all your comments! I personally believe this is in Mint State grade (details due to the sea salt porosity), AU-58 at worst.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
56001 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2021  10:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Got it, thanks.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2205 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2021  11:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Huh, wasn't aware they do not designate a grade on these. Could have sworn I've seen these with numerical/details grades.

Cool piece Finn!
Pillar of the Community
United States
7783 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2021  11:37 am  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Huh, wasn't aware they do not designate a grade on these. Could have sworn I've seen these with numerical/details grades.

Every one I've seen has the same description I posted on the label, that's why I went with it. Would like to see the label with out the edit on it, to know for sure. But I did look up this date and found around a dozen slabbed and sold with the label saying:

UNC Details "Improperly Cleaned" from NGC Conservation/NGC Coin Grading service.

Sometimes I'll see "Shipwreck Effect" also instead of "Improperly Cleaned"
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2¢ variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Edited by westcoin
03/10/2021 11:38 am
Valued Member
United States
181 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2021  1:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn70 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I bought this example from an online dealer that has been in the business for over 50 years. They had 4 Seated halves available at the time, a 58, 2 58-O and a 59-O that was a bit higher in price. They all came in a book-like presentation pictured below. All the pieces were slabbed by NGC and were labeled "shipwreck effect". I chose the most interesting example (for me at least) with the repunched 8's. I was pleasantly surprised in the coins condition. In fact the divers reported that many of the coins recovered were still in their crates, neatly stacked just as they were when the ship had left the harbor. An interesting conversation piece to say the least.
@WC: I only edited the bar code and serial number on my original pic. No grade was given on the slab, details or otherwise. Thank you for your input!
Edited by Finn70
03/10/2021 5:47 pm
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 787Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.67 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05