Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1896-P Morgan Grading Help

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 409Next Topic  
United States
21 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2021  9:27 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add PCM to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
1896-P Morgan silver dollar. Looking for grading help aswell as to see if my picture quality has improved. I'm thinking this is high AU or better but I am no where near as skilled as some of you.

Edited by PCM
03/07/2021 10:13 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18384 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2021  10:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can't see any residual luster. Has been cleaned? decades ago.
Slight, but obvious wear on the high points, especially the obverse.

AU-55.
United States
21 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2021  10:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PCM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If any cleaning happened it would have been prior to 1980 when my greatgrandfather passed. Thats said I'm still learning and havent developed an eye for it yet so I take yalls word for it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
956 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2021  10:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is the field beige in reality or is it an artifact of photography? If the beige stuff is for real and you don't like it, have you considered an acetone bath?
Just like sel_69l I don't see any luster either, but the coin is nice and sharp. So for me it is AU-58.
United States
21 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2021  10:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PCM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
im assuming and artifact of photography. the overhead light in that room fluorescent and I had one led light on either side to try and light the coin. I didnt want to mess with and color correction so these are how they came off the sd card.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4272 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2021  01:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well struck coin...unbelievable reverse, hair curl above ear.. no luster ,you say.....AU-58

Could have been PL in MS...IMO
I'm by no means a pro and will never claim to be...just my 2 cents
A smile costs nothing to give or receive....GF
If it's not hockey, it's not a sport
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
517 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2021  08:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TobyJ to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've seen coins like this grade MS60. I think however it is high AU.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2997 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2021  08:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't see any signs of wear, but the lack of luster hurts it. I'd say AU-58, but it might be low MS.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9965 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2021  11:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
the 96(P) are typically sharp and bold. this one is just a little short with the hair around the ear just a little flat and the breast not as defined as it should be for the year. overhead lighting is not good as it is washing out the surfaces and hiding any luster that may be there or it could be from a cleaning that removed it. without better photos I need to put it in the AU58 bucket
Pillar of the Community
United States
7070 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2021  11:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Has it been cleaned?

Excellent educational video about this:
SjfODQdsf24
The slabbed Half dollar No G farce: Download No-FG half vs. Grading Company Claims report here:
https://tinyurl.com/yalrstjz or higher resolution version: https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
United States
21 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2021  5:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PCM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
yea I need to figure out the white balance on the camera. I let it auto wb and it didnt work out. in person the coin looks better. I just cant seem to get the lighting or the coin positioning right.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1932 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2021  8:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First,

I have a hunch about the surface on the coin. I played with your photos a bit by reducing lighting, sharpening contrast, and adjusting color to offset some of the effects of fluorescent lighting. I see some granular coating on the surface, particularly in the fields and flat surfaces on the devices. For example, notice the areas around the stars.

Two questions:
Was this coin stored in a vinyl flip or vinyl sheet?
Do you live in a warm and humid area?

This could be a reaction to PVC.

In terms of the technical grade, there is evidence of light circulation. It's in the mid- to high-AU range (AU-55 to AU-58). If an acetone bath doesn't remove the surface discoloration, the coin likely would be AU Details.
Pillar of the Community
United States
570 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2021  9:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JasonKflo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ill say AU-58
United States
21 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2021  10:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PCM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Two questions:
Was this coin stored in a vinyl flip or vinyl sheet?
Do you live in a warm and humid area?

The coins have been stored in a cardboard coin book with a 1950's copy write date.
I live in VA so humid summers and dry winters.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
22024 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2021  12:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU-55 straight grade.
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 409Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.8 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05