Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

My Experiences With An Appearance Review Submission To NGC

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 38 / Views: 1,761Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community
United States
3535 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2021  3:09 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I recently ordered 2 coins from a seller that I have purchased from before on eBay. The seller tends to have very good prices and is a fast shipper.

The pictures of one of the coins was blurry and even the picture at NGC wasn't great. There looked like there was some residue on the reverse of the Half Cent, but based on the pictures and the grade I wasn't expecting a bad coin.

The seller shipped out the coin from Texas the day before they got hit with a monster storm. He ended up having to live in a shelter for a week as his house was uninhabitable.

2 weeks after he shipped I got it home. One coin looked fine the Half Cent had more residue than I expected.

See pictures:

I ended up taking the coin to my local shop and after reviewing it the coin shop owner said it looks like a cleaning residue. He recommended that I send it in to NGC for an appearance review as they will either conserve it or make me whole if the coin is details.

(to be continued on 2nd post)
Pillar of the Community
United States
3535 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2021  3:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So what are the steps in sending in a coin for an Appearance Review. Since I didn't know either, I called up NGC. The CSR was very nice and explained the process.
1) You print out a submission form.
2) In the form you enter all the information like its a regular submission, but you enter in Appearance Review and include a note/letter explaining what the issue is. I typed up a letter explaining the reason I was submitting the coin.
3) There is a $10 review charge and you have to pay shipment back to you, in my case it was $26
4) I packed up the coin and shipped it toNGC.
5) The coin got to NGC on 3/2 and there is about a week delay before they can even open the cases. It was entered in as a submission on 3/9 and scheduled for grading on 3/11.

Based on my conversation with the CSR, this is what is supposed to happen.

The coin will be removed from the slab.
A grader will review the coin.
In this case if the residue is treatable the coin will be sent for conservation.
If its corrosion, I will be either reimbursed for what the coin value is or be given a comparable grade coin.
Once a decision is made I will be contacted.

So the question on everyone's mind is "Why not send the coin back?" and honestly the Observe of the coin has nice appeal and I like the milk chocolate color. It wasn't an expensive coin and if NGC can conserve it I will be very happy.

I will keep you all informed on my progress and let you know of any issues.
Edited by hfjacinto
03/11/2021 3:52 pm
Learn More...
United States
101000 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2021  3:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I will keep you all informed on my progress and let you know of any issues.
Looking forward to your report.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58339 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2021  3:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So let me get this straight - you paid to ship it to NGC, plus a $10 review charge, plus $36 to have it returned?
Pillar of the Community
United States
3535 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2021  3:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I paid $8 to ship to NGC, $10 for the review and $26 to get it back. I'm using it as a learning experience. Lets see how this all works.

To ship it back to the seller would have been the same amount $8. I may take up a career as a blogger, you need to have material for all the blogs I could do. Hence $36 as a learning experience.
Edited by hfjacinto
03/11/2021 4:01 pm
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
242 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2021  08:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kcm to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@frog, I once paid $44.00 for a taxi ride to a place I only hoped to offer an adventurous visit. I was out the cash ( no way to re-sell the ride) but I enjoyed the adventure.

Kevin
Given the option of choosing between a very interesting coin or a rather valuable one, I'd choose the former every time . My vexation lies in the fact that the two so often coincide.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3535 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2021  08:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I once spent $36 on a bottle of wine... well that was like yesterday.. and I don't have the wine any more. The bottle somehow magically drained itself of wine..
Pillar of the Community
United States
3535 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2021  08:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Updates:

Status has changed to Grading/Quality Control

Pillar of the Community
United States
3123 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2021  09:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting, it will be nice to follow the process. If they decide to send it for conservation, is there an additional conservation fee?
Pillar of the Community
United States
3535 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2021  10:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If they decide to send it for conservation, is there an additional conservation fee?

From what the CSR told me, NGC will do what it takes to make sure that the coin I purchased was as labeled. So if it needs conversation to maintain the same grade, they will conserve it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4573 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2021  10:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So if they can't "clean" it up, they will send you one from their stock? Do they have 83 Half Cents laying around? Maybe in nicer grade to exchange? Tell us more
I'm by no means a pro and will never claim to be...just my 2 cents
A smile costs nothing to give or receive....GF
If it's not hockey, it's not a sport
Pillar of the Community
United States
4551 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2021  10:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Adam_E to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They may just purchase one off of CDN or something greasy
Pillar of the Community
United States
3535 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2021  07:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As I don't know the answers to the questions, let's see what they do with my coin.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17385 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2021  08:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The bottle somehow magically drained itself of wine..

There was probably a hole in the bottle, probably near the top.

Quote:
So if they can't "clean" it up, they will send you one from their stock?

They don't have "stock". they will either buy one on the open market to replace it, offer to buy it outright, or offer him the different in value between the original grade and what it ends up grading. They decide what those values are. They may or may not have any relationship to the real world or what ever their price guide says.
Gary Schmidt
Edited by Conder101
03/13/2021 08:40 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
3535 Posts
 Posted 03/23/2021  10:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So my coin has been shipped back, no updates no emails? I called up and the CSR said they include documentation of what was done. The coin was reslabbed with a new number and same grade..

Honestly as of today, I'm not overly impressed with NGC. Lets see when I get it back.
Edited by hfjacinto
03/23/2021 10:55 am
Learn More...
United States
101000 Posts
 Posted 03/23/2021  12:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Honestly as of today, I'm not overly impressed with NGC. Lets see when I get it back.
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 38 / Views: 1,761Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.48 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05