Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Roll With Deformed Coin (Updated Photos)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 647Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Canada
736 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2021  10:42 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello any one,

I past trough the mint rolls I have, for internal inventory. I am not a dealer but I make my inventory also.

So I know between 2007 and 2012 I receive direct from the mint 8000$ in coins every 2 weeks (for my business). Sometimes in transparent seal roll or mint print paper roll.

You will see in the photo that one roll (magnetic) have a deformed coin inside.

My question?: Could this happened during the strike or is more packing machine? and if you have this roll you will open or leave like this?

Thanks,

PS I took the picture at 60 deg difference.
Edited by silviosi
03/12/2021 1:17 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1666 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2021  10:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Smallcentguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You need to open this up and have a look. Hopefully it is an interesting error!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
736 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2021  11:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I will do and post the photo of what it is.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4862 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2021  11:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numisma to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think it's safe to say this happened after the coin was struck. We'll need to see it to tell you any more.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
736 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2021  1:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So I open the roll, and this it is what I find. For me is strange why the small offset in on the same SE on the both sides. The rest I let you to say. The coin is deform NW and SE on the same side.

Thank you
Edited by silviosi
03/12/2021 1:18 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1666 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2021  3:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Smallcentguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hmmm.... Looks like maybe it fell into some machinery after it was minted and got beaten up.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1829 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2021  4:03 pm  Show Profile   Check nickelsguy's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nickelsguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
weight? broad struck bent nice could be extractor damage....a lot of it please post individual pics of both sides
Pillar of the Community
Canada
798 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2021  8:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add robmck1967 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
interesting...it looks broadstruck but we need better pics of the whole coin both sides.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4862 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2021  8:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numisma to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
broad struck

I see what you're seeing, but it appears to be the correct diameter and have a normal edge based on the original roll photos.

I'm just seeing a damaged coin, likely in machinery of some sort.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
736 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2021  7:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry guys I was not able to answer yesterday. I can say the very simple reason: Was my birthday (61 yards, less to go more ahead), and I was in my first anniversary through video, HiHiHi; but fun.

So back to topic. Thanks you, guys you confirms me my guess for those scratches. Must be some sort of machinery after strike. Maybe in summer when I will visit the Winnipeg Mint I will be in the position to be more closed of this problem. I think this coin give us a small vision about what can come out sometimes from mint.

What I can not understand now is the very small off center ( very light deformation in the diameter)

The best part is all the coins in the roll are at least 64 and 65.

Thank you again, I will try to do better photos.

Silvio
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2111 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2021  8:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rocky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
the date is pressed on the outside edge of the rim. this might be a die scrap . that would bent the coin as well. this coin was standing before it was scraped nice one.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
736 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2021  9:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Coop, I put this one already in a small slab.
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 647Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05