Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Conserved Or Cleaned? Which Is It? (1893 Commemorative Columbian Half Dollar)

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 652Next Topic
Page: of 2
United States
36 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2021  8:52 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add jaberwoke to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Has anyone here had a silver coin which they've had conserved to improve its appeal?

Have a look at these before and after photos. Is it a conserved or cleaned coin and... why?

Photos are before and after conservation.

Don't have a good camera but in hand, white and a very nice cartwheel and luster.

*** Edited by Staff to Add Year / Mintmark / Denomination to Title. Titles are Important! ***
Pillar of the Community
United States
3022 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2021  9:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Personally, I think it lost considerable luster, especially on the reverse. The original blotchy toning wasn't very attractive, but now it just looks overdipped.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2938 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2021  9:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coin was dipped to remove unwanted toning.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
56841 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2021  9:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Conserved by who? Looks cleaned to me.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3390 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2021  9:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cleaned is when you do it.

Conserved is when you pay someone to clean it.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2319 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2021  9:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sadly, I'm in the cleaned side as well. Already looked like it had a previous dipping/cleaning in the first one, second pics look over dipped.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
56841 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2021  9:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Worth chump change either way - why bother trying to improve it?
Pillar of the Community
United States
4402 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2021  10:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Tomato...Tamato
I'm by no means a pro and will never claim to be...just my 2 cents
A smile costs nothing to give or receive....GF
If it's not hockey, it's not a sport
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1930 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2021  10:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rothery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's a common Commemorative - hopefully first set of pics are what you have - last set looks "washed out" from an over dip/cleaning!
Everything can change in just one day.........
Best Lincoln roll find & Nicest WOODY find
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." - Will Rogers
Pillar of the Community
United States
6343 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2021  02:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add muddler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
common coin, get one that you like unmolested with.
United States
36 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2021  7:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jaberwoke to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was hoping someone who had a coin conserved by a TPG would see this post and reply.

As I said earlier, in hand, this coin looks BU and has as much luster and cartwheel as any graded MS coin currently on eBay. It's only when magnified you can see where the tarnish interrupted the surface and caused damage. I want to know if a TPG conservation service results are any different

Coin Help did a YouTube video a while back where he dipped in EZ and it came back from PCGS with a grade and not marked cleaned. So... ?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1981 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2021  9:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
PCGS, for example, defines "cleaning" in terms of abrasive cleaning, and clarifies that dipping is not cleaning. In contrast, "damage" includes "attempts to remove spots, etc." That "etc." is a broad category.

In a nutshell, "dipping" won't detail a coin, but overdipping will. The pics of the Columbian Half suggest a lack of luster in the second set of photos. That could be lighting and camera angle, or could accurately depict an overdipped coin. IMHO, a beautiful slider > an ugly UNC > a detailed UNC.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2319 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2021  10:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Out of curiosity, how long did you dip this for jaberwoke? What was your process?
Pillar of the Community
United States
3022 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2021  10:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The post-dipped coin may have as much shine and brightness as before, but there's no question that it lost some luster, probably from spending too much time in the dip. Good technique is one aspect of dipping a coin, but just as important is finding the right coin that would benefit from a dip to remove unattractive toning. Your coin had heavy, terminal toning with some underlying corrosion, and a brief dip wouldn't be enough to remove it. So by removing the toning with an extended dip, the rest of the coin got overdipped and lost luster. A TPG service probably would have said it wasn't a candidate for conservation.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3390 Posts
 Posted 04/01/2021  09:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@jaberwoke,

You can read and see before and after pictures of an NGC conservation here:

http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/...IC_ID=394916
Pillar of the Community
United States
2938 Posts
 Posted 04/01/2021  10:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I was hoping someone who had a coin conserved by a TPG would see this post and reply.

I have sent in a AU58 Morgan silver dollar to PCGS for conservation of some black terminal toning. The coin after conservation, came back AU58 with the black terminal toning removed, but the black toning had etched the surface where it was removed. All PCGS had done is dip the coin in an acid something like eZest and called it conservation.

Your coin was dipped in an acid to remove the toning. Look at the stars left and right of the date, the removed black toning etched the surface of the coin. The same thing happened around the number 14 as the surface is etched from the removed toning.

If a MS or AU with luster is dipped correctly, the TPG will still give the coin a straight grade. If a circulated coin below AU is dipped and sent in for grading, it has a strong chance of being graded improperly cleaned.

My guess it that you sent in the coin for conversation and grading and PCGS tagged the coin details improperly cleaned because it is obvious that the coin was dipped.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 652Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05