Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1960 D LMC. (SD) Bie + Ufo?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 273Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

United States
940 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2021  1:47 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add RobO411 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Besides the BIE, chip on E, skirted R and odd location for clash above date

Can you make out what's happening around ERTY?

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
55872 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2021  2:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
See the chips in E and R, don't see the BIE.
Pillar of the Community
United States
940 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2021  2:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RobO411 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Between E,R
Pillar of the Community
United States
3601 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2021  2:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I too see die chips in E and R, not seeing a BIE.
Pillar of the Community
United States
940 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2021  3:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RobO411 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Valued Member
United States
64 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2021  4:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NickG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am also seeing chips one the E & R not BIE. This is an example of BIE die chip coin that I have.

Pillar of the Community
United States
940 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2021  5:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RobO411 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's a nice one Nick. A BIE is a die break between any letters of LIBERTY. Check Cudsoncoins. 1960D for sample. Other years even smaller than mine is.

Did you notice something different around letters ERTY of LIBERTY?
I'm curious what those can be?
Top left vertical of E. A lot going around and inside circle of R. Bottom of cross bar of T also bottom left of T. Under left slanted bar of Y.
Edited by RobO411
04/05/2021 6:15 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
940 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2021  07:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RobO411 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry. Still wondering about the letters ERTY.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50088 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2021  1:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They call the 'R' a skirted 'R'. But part of the reason for the quick dash to make the large date that year. Thus the reason why so many RPMs, because they had to hurry. (But thanks for the RPMs, guys)
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
2071 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2021  2:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 11997755 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like there might be a small die break at the top West of the "R" which would make it a minor BIE or more precisely an "EIR".
Pillar of the Community
United States
940 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2021  3:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RobO411 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks much for comments. There is a crack just off R and between ER.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50088 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2021  4:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm more of variety collector. This is a die event. A normal die that got old and the die started to die, buy cracking/chipping and getting all around in all kinds of trouble. LOL

But these small dates had issue with chipping right from the start. So they replaced with the large date dies. Something about the dies, where the design or some the metal? Not sure right now.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
04/09/2021 4:14 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
940 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2021  4:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RobO411 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks coop
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 273Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.64 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05