Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

United States Mint Announces Additional Honorees In American Women Quarters Program

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 403Next Topic  
Press Manager
Learn More...
United States
1420 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2021  10:37 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CCFPress to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
US Mint - WASHINGTON - The United States Mint (Mint) is pleased to announce the addition of the following women to be honored during the first year of the American Women Quarters Program:

Wilma Mankiller - the first female Principal Chief of the Cherokee Nation and an activist for Native American and women's rights;
Adelina Otero-Warren - a leader in New Mexico's suffrage movement and the first female superintendent of Santa Fe public schools; and
Anna May Wong - the first Chinese American film star in Hollywood, achieving international success despite racism and discrimination.

Designs reflecting the achievements of Mankiller, Otero-Warren, and Wong, along with those of celebrated author Maya Angelou and trailblazing astronaut Dr. Sally Ride, will be featured on circulating and numismatic American Women Quarters Program coins beginning in 2022.

"Courageous women have made countless contributions throughout our great Nation's history," said Mint Director David J. Ryder. "The American Women Quarters Program is a unique opportunity to honor a broad and diverse group of women whose achievements, triumphs, and legacies reflect the strength and resilience of our Nation. We look forward to sharing their stories."

Authorized by Public Law 116-330—the Circulating Collectible Coin Redesign Act of 2020—the American Women Quarters Program will feature coins with reverse (tails) designs emblematic of the accomplishments and contributions of prominent American women. Contributions may come from a wide spectrum of fields including, but not limited to, suffrage, civil rights, abolition, government, humanities, science, space, and the arts. The women honored will come from ethnically, racially, and geographically diverse backgrounds. As required by the Public Law, no living person will be featured in the coin designs, and thus all the women honored must be deceased. The Mint will issue up to five coins with different reverse designs annually over the four-year period from 2022 through 2025.

The obverse (heads) of coins in the American Women Quarters Program will continue to feature a likeness of George Washington designed in a manner to distinguish it from the current image.

As stipulated by the Public Law, the Secretary of the Treasury selects the women to be honored following consultation with the Smithsonian Institution's American Women's History Initiative, the National Women's History Museum, and the Congressional Bipartisan Women's Caucus.
Learn More...
United States
100731 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2021  11:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lots of potential for some nice designs! I will hope for the best.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4325 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2021  11:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like I'll be going through quarter rolls well into the future.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9636 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2021  11:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would like to see Amelia Earhart and Annie Oakley Quarters.
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Learn More...
United States
100731 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2021  2:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I would be surprised if we did not!
Pillar of the Community
United States
7219 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2021  5:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

I sure hope so. These should have been at the top of the list IMO.
The slabbed Half dollar No FG farce: Download No-FG half vs. Grading Company Claims report here:
https://tinyurl.com/yalrstjz or higher resolution version: https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
Learn More...
United States
100731 Posts
 Posted 06/11/2021  10:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Of course, being the computer nerd I am, I would love to see Grace Hopper make the list.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2245 Posts
 Posted 06/11/2021  10:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nfine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I would like to see Amelia Earhart

...and Bessie Coleman
Learn More...
United States
100731 Posts
 Posted 06/11/2021  11:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
...and Bessie Coleman
Another great recommendation.
Valued Member
United States
415 Posts
 Posted 06/11/2021  12:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add captaincoffee to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Zero interest in multiple designs a year for another 20 years. The whole concept officially jumped the shark with the innovation dollars, and I was hoping the quarters would finally cease this after the ATB completion.
Learn More...
United States
100731 Posts
 Posted 06/11/2021  2:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This series is only four years. 2026 will have a design for the United States Semiquincentennial.
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 403Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.35 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05