Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Newfoundland 50c - Obverse 1 Or Obverse 2?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 380Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Canada
573 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2021  06:44 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Silver101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I've been staring at the NFLD 50c for two years now and still can't easily distinguish one obverse from the other. The Charlton guide describes differences in the laurel wreath which I don't see for example. People talk about elements of the face; the lips....but they're pretty subtle.

So, does anyone out there have a definitive way of distinguishing obverse 1 from 2? This is an 1898 small w - it's priced as though it's an obverse 1 (though still on the high side in my opinion) but, to me, it looks like an obverse 2.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
633 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2021  06:59 am  Show Profile   Check TheDeductible's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TheDeductible to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I too struggle with this. The lip, I think, is the best indicator but once wear comes in to play its too hard to tell the difference. The Charleton distinguishes them also with one having the upper most leaf entering the legend band but I have seen zero evidence of this. The truth here is that the differences are too small for collectors to readily and easily identify, so I don't think many people really even try to.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
9784 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2021  07:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Type 2

On a type 1, the upper lip juts out at a slight angle, on type 2, it is almost straight down.
Also the Laurel leaves on a type 1 enter the gap between the E and I,
on a type 2 the leaves fall short of the band.
Hope this makes sense.
Edited by JimmyD
04/15/2021 08:14 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
573 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2021  08:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silver101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@JimmyD - you wrote "On a type 1, the upper lip juts out at a slight angle, on type 1, it is almost straight down" - is that a typo?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
573 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2021  08:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silver101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think the eyelid crease is deeper in the type 2 - that's why I thought this one was type 2 and not type 1....
Pillar of the Community
Canada
9784 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2021  08:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
@JimmyD - you wrote "On a type 1, the upper lip juts out at a slight angle, on type 1, it is almost straight down" - is that a typo?

Yes it was Thanks, I corrected it
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4127 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2021  09:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Subtle, yes, and on more worn specimens I don't think that they can be distinguished.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
573 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2021  10:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silver101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks folks - so the rule of thumb is that type #1 Queen is feeling a little kissy and amorous whereas type #2 Queen is not in the mood for that sort of nonsense....
Pillar of the Community
Canada
9784 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2021  10:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's a good way of putting it. Now you can easily distinguish the two varieties.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3583 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2021  1:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To me, it looks like a 2, but I'm just going by the Haxby and Charlton photos. In a #1, one of the laurel leaf tips ends between the E & I, like this coin. It looks like the tip of the leaf in question is worn down, but would be between the letters if not (look carefully and you'll see the shadow). It is definitely a small W by looking at the tip of the neck truncation and the W ... a large gap. But when you look at the upper lip, like this reference:
http://www.saskatooncoinclub.ca/art...-50c-1898-1s

the lip is straight, not curved like a #1, so I think it's a #2.
Edited by okiecoiner
04/15/2021 1:18 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
573 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2021  1:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silver101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks @okiecoiner - the jury's not entirely in on that laurel leaf between the I and the e thing. I don't see that particular feature, at least on the 1898 (and I have several of them in various degrees of decrepitude). My money's on the eyelid which appears to be a deeper and more resilient crease in the #2 and the lips, which are a little puckered up in the #1.....
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 380Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05