Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Do You Like Seated Half Dimes?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 526Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
8231 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2021  11:12 am Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
If so you need to check out the Newman Numismatic Portal hosting the;

Steve Crain Liberty Seated half dime die variety reference collection. Photography was performed by Steve Herrman, with the cooperation of W. David Perkins.

Amazing free online reference available to us. There is a downloadable spreadsheet file (in PDF) to accompany the photo files (link to SS on main page).

https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/image...ction/514182

There is also Clint Cummins old site that has been around for quite awhile, I met Clint years ago online in the early days of coin clubs on the internet (early to mid 1990's).
https://sites.google.com/view/clint...bution-guide

Clint maintains a nice collection of Valentine varieties and an attribution guide that is helpful.

What a fantastic collection of varieties, obviously a labor of love, and has given me ideas on re-organizing my own Two Cent Piece variety collection. I find the toughest part besides the time in photographing everything, is the editing of photos to make them uniformly similar and building the database, I use Filemaker Pro as I am much more comfortable with it over a spreadsheet.

EDIT: To add another book I forgot to put on the post, The Complete Guide to Liberty Seated half dimes by Al Blythe

https://archive.org/details/compgui...awr/mode/2up
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Edited by westcoin
04/17/2021 11:52 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
20284 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2021  08:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I started an Album for those and eventually gave up. Some of them are virtually impossible to find for a price that is reasonable.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
United States
2333 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2021  11:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thq to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like half dimes, but the selection in coin shops is always geared to type sets, and I never buy them on the bay. Over the last 30 years I've found several of the keys and semi keys in raw state. I'll use the first link to figure out which V type my 1838-O is.....only three to choose from....
"Two minutes ago I would have sold my chances for a tired dime." Fred Astaire
Valued Member
206 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2021  12:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JohnH4444 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
really not a big fan of half dimes. just too small for me.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8231 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2021  2:50 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like the odd denomination coins, and Gobrecht designs like the Seated Liberty series. What really impressed me is the sheer number of coins in the variety set and almost all of them are at least AU or better. I didn't count the number of different coins but it's got to be around 300-400? That is what shocked me and why I wanted to share the link, as it's a set most of us would never see otherwise, plus it's good info for anytime you acquire a half dime to check against these and see if you maybe have a rare variety.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Pillar of the Community
United States
2333 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2021  3:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thq to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is the site I like for bust halves Overton varieties. I used it a lot when I was hunting down dramatic die clashes.

http://maibockaddict.com

I don't know why I like Seated half dimes better than Seated dimes. It might be because I like 1/2 reale monogram cobs, which are about the same size.
"Two minutes ago I would have sold my chances for a tired dime." Fred Astaire
Edited by thq
04/18/2021 3:49 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2138 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2021  8:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@westcoin, Thank you for posting the links! Definitely a challenging series!

I have never had a customer who has tried to assemble a date-mint-major variety set. I can't even imagine trying to cover all of the lesser known varieties.

With one rather obvious exception, a date-mint-major set could be accomplished in F/VF, though some of the dates are brutal to locate in the marketplace. Even in F/VF, quite a few of the coins would be pricey.
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 526Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05