Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is This A Die Crack On This 1937 P Washington Quarter?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 279Next Topic  
United States
39 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2021  12:46 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Snobro110 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi all,

I was checking some of my silver quarters for doubling & stumbled upon this. To me, it looks almost like it could be a big die crack. But, it also looks like it could be damage. I'm wondering if anyone could tell me what their opinion is on this. Die Crack or not?

Pillar of the Community
United States
3907 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2021  1:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Full, sharp photos of the coin's obverse and reverse would be most welcome. Is that linear feature raised or sunken (incuse)?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
56734 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2021  1:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, that's the question.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
9686 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2021  1:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like it could be a long scratch but will need a complete photo to say for sure.
One thing it is not is a Die Crack.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4522 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2021  1:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Adam_E to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Definitely displaced metal on the "R", my vote is scratch
Pillar of the Community
United States
4855 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2021  1:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numisma to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

This is definitely incuse. That leaves a scratch or strike-through as our options, but I think I'm also seeing some displacement.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4803 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2021  6:09 pm  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree that it looks incuse. Scratch is my vote.
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
https://www.coincommunity.com/forum...IC_ID=303507
Pillar of the Community
United States
906 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2021  6:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's a scratch. There is displaced metal in the protected areas. The displaced metal on the raised areas likely wore off in circulation. The line is darker than surrounding areas, indicating the scratch collected dirt.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50707 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2021  7:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Also on a coin scratch, it often leaves the excess metal rising above the fields:

In circulation for a time, these raised edges wear off and all you have is the trench of the cut. One way to tell it is a cut with a knife, is that it leaves a striation line on the center of the trench:

CoopHome: How is a coin scratch different than a broken die issue?
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
04/18/2021 7:25 pm
United States
39 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2021  7:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Snobro110 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks!
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 279Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05
New