Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1972-D DD? Can't Find Any Matching To This R?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 184Next Topic  

United States
8 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2021  02:47 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Nycrh to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I can't find anything to match this on VV or CC please give me some help understanding if this is a DD

United States
8 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2021  02:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nycrh to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is the back

Bedrock of the Community
United States
39027 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2021  04:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
. Not seeing doubling. Don't forget to also check Wexlers site.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Learn More...
United States
19244 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2021  08:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@nyc, first welcome to CCF. Second, I'm in agreement with @john1 that it doesn't look like you have any doubling. I do see that line at the top of the letter R in your pic, but that looks more like a shelf of metal that has been created due to contact with some other object.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50889 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2021  09:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your are looking to hard for something that is not there. Don't look at the outside edges of the devices. Look at the centers to see if there is a spread on that area:

Note on the top image. That is a doubled die. The second example is Machine Doubling. The third image is a normal coin. Note the width the of devices on the first image and the third image? What is wider, where is it wider. Note the centers of the devices are enlarge. So when this spread happens between to different steps of the hub process, the alignment is not correct. So the die is doubled, These are called doubled dies, because of the doubling is on the die. The normal one is normal because the same event didn't happen to the creation of that die. The center image is Machine Doubling. It is a normal die, that has been altered after the strike with swing from the machine, altering the devices. Note it is on the outside edges of the devices. That is because the push the machines dies altered this. So what did were learn:
1. A doubled die is caused because the die was doubled during its creation.
2. On a doubled die we will see a spread in the center of the devices, and even notching. (again note the that notching is not see on the outside of the devices, but pressed into the devices.
3. A doubled die will not happen on a normal die. If the devices are normal in size, it is a normal die. Even Machine Doubling can happen on a doubled die. So Machine Doubling is not the same as a doubled die. Machine Doubling is quite common to find, and it is a reduction of the devices, not an enlarging.
4. Look at the centers for the spread, if no spread move on to the next coin. Looking on the outsides will show you what? Machine Doubling.

To show you mow much Machine Doubling can reduce the devices, note a side by side of this coin below:

I'm sure your looking at the bottom images and thinking this is a doubled die, but it is just strong Machine Doubling. Note the top images are just a normal example. The bottom ones are reduced by Machine Doubling. Note the following points.
1. Machine Doubling reduces the size of the devices.
2. Machine Doubling is on the outside part of the design of the devices.
3. While the devices look larger, they are all normal for this design.
4. The contour of the devices are altered. Normally you would be the light color on the tops of the devices, that fade to dark on the bottoms of the devices. Note the affected areas? They are flat and there is not contour light to dark on the images. They were altered by the machine. So both of the coins were from normal dies, but the MD example was altered, after the strike by the machine.

Another point on your coin, if this was a doubled die, the hub doubling would not be on just one device. There is not spread on the devices on your coin. That is the first thing we look for. Is the devices normal in size? If so, move on to the next coin. If may be the coin your look for?
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
United States
8 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2021  3:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nycrh to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I appreciate the information from all which is extremely helpful and will definitely help me moving forward.
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 184Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05