Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

This Appears To Be A Lincoln Planchet (?)

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 813Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
59 Posts
 Posted 04/27/2021  4:34 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add coinchatter to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I used a plugable USB 2.0 digital Microscope. I hope it's clear enough. The microscope is on Amazon for less that %40. Now, after experiencing with this one I know what I need in a microscope. At least I have an ideal. I had a very difficult time uploading the photos to the forum. Please comment to let me know what this is

Pillar of the Community
United States
7216 Posts
 Posted 04/27/2021  4:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A very worn down Lincoln cent.
The slabbed Half dollar No FG farce: Download No-FG half vs. Grading Company Claims report here:
https://tinyurl.com/yalrstjz or higher resolution version: https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58122 Posts
 Posted 04/27/2021  4:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
More than worn, I'm guessing. Can you enlarge this image and give us the weight?
Learn More...
United States
100676 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
4316 Posts
 Posted 04/27/2021  5:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very, very worn. If only coins could talk.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17015 Posts
 Posted 04/27/2021  5:52 pm  Show Profile   Check BadThad's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Worn far too much to be natural, it had some help at some point.

Wear & PMD
Lincoln Cent Lover!
Valued Member
United States
59 Posts
 Posted 04/27/2021  6:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coinchatter to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coin weights 2.43 grams. I didnt think it was worn down. It's thinner than a dime and there is nothing on the reverse. Other than that, the MM is much closer than an ordinary Lincoln Cent. I dont think I can enlarge the entire coin since it has to be under 300kb. If so, please let me know. Well, I didnt do anything to the coin to make it appear worn down. My dad has a grocery store and there were many coins left and this is one of them. Thank you for your responses
Valued Member
United States
59 Posts
 Posted 04/27/2021  7:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coinchatter to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coins weight 2.43 grams. I guess I posted this correctly
Valued Member
United States
59 Posts
 Posted 04/27/2021  7:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coinchatter to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coin weighs 2.43 grams. Since the post only shows up to 300kb, I am not sure I can enlarge it. Any suggestions on that?
Pillar of the Community
United States
4956 Posts
 Posted 04/27/2021  7:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numisma to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Artificial wear, IMHO. The edges shouldn't taper like that from normal circulation wear.

What I can tell you is that it didn't leave the mint that way.

Quote:
Since the post only shows up to 300kb, I am not sure I can enlarge it. Any suggestions on that?

Did you use the CCF optimizer? You should be able to get it a lot bigger than that without going over 300.
Edited by Numisma
04/27/2021 7:52 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58122 Posts
 Posted 04/27/2021  8:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This coin has been altered. It is not the result of extended wear in circulation.
Edited by Coinfrog
04/27/2021 8:08 pm
Valued Member
United States
59 Posts
 Posted 04/27/2021  8:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coinchatter to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I will try to enlarge it. I havent done anything to the coin. I posted it as I found it..gosh, I dont know how to alter a coin. I wouldnt even try nor would my dad.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2245 Posts
 Posted 04/27/2021  8:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nfine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Back in the day Lincoln cents were altered to match the diameter and weight of dimes and used to make purchases in vending machines. Compare your Lincoln to a dime to see if it's close to the same size and weight.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
2145 Posts
 Posted 04/27/2021  8:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rothery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very rounded rims - all details worn - Why not a " dryer coin" ?
Learn More...
United States
19525 Posts
 Posted 04/27/2021  9:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@roth, with dryer coins, the rims are almost always rolled over and down into the fields. The rims on the OP's cent look smooth and worn down to a taper.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
2145 Posts
 Posted 04/27/2021  9:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rothery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The rims on the OP's cent look smooth and worn down to a taper.

I don't know- Just throwing out a topic for discussion - My mind is never set.
How did them rims get so far onto the coin? See what I'm saying? I would agree extremely worn but on the reverse the rims are so pushed toward the middle of the coin. Remember, don't shoot the messenger, I always ask questions to learn better!
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 813Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05