Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Grade For This 1891 S Morgan

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 1,034Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
479 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2021  3:43 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Sidekick-CA to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This is in a black Redfield holder and has no TPG. States only a silver dollar from the Redfield Collection. My personal guess would be MS-60-61. Hard to say with all that toning. I've had it several years and the toning seems to be increasing. It's going to obscure too much of the coin if it keeps going.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3068 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2021  4:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS61, and that's primarily going off the cheek, can't make out the fields
Edited by Ty2020b
05/04/2021 4:04 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
61418 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2021  4:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For me, too much toning to even hazard a guess.
Edited by Coinfrog
05/04/2021 4:03 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
4377 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2021  4:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fenton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS-62+
Pillar of the Community
United States
1934 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2021  4:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Historic holder aside, I think I'd have to remove that Morgan from the environment it's in and place in a more stable holder, unless there is some sentimental attachment.
Valued Member
United States
479 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2021  5:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sidekick-CA to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bump111 thanks and I've been thinking the same thing in order to try and prevent any further toning. Not sure though what sort of container will better protect it. Any suggestions?
Pillar of the Community
United States
5544 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2021  5:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like it. Great back story. Id say MS62.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9946 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2021  5:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS62 for me as well. That is the problem with some of these older holders, the inserts remain active for a long time. The Paramount holders seem to be some of the worst.
1883-O Nut
Pillar of the Community
United States
3174 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2021  5:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
61418 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2021  6:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Grade aside, wicked-looking coin!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
2145 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2021  7:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rothery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll stay at 61. Put it in a black ringed Airtite. I have a few I'm not using you can have no charge - PM me if interested
Pillar of the Community
United States
839 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2021  8:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JasonKflo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think it is a 61
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2391 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2021  10:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I adjusted the photos (by eliminating color. reducing light, and sharpening contrast) to see the obverse surface better. There are quite a few contact marks in the fields. That said, there is heavy frost underneath the toning. I agree, it's in the MS-61 or MS-62 neighborhood.

If you decide to remove it from the holder, take several pics of the coin in the holder first, and keep the holder. That would help preserve historical provenance.

Looking at the obverse surfaces, two places where the toning looks like it may be more than superficial are between the second and third left stars and between the top of the cap and "US" of PLURIBUS,

Toning is progressive, and my concern is that even in a different holder or capsule, it will progress. Given the underlying frost and generally superficial toning, is this a candidate for conservation? The value likely wouldn't justify stand-alone conservation, but if you could run it through conservation with other coins, it might be justifiable. Thoughts?
Valued Member
United States
303 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2021  01:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MisterT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Certainly is hard to judge grade not only from a mere photo but also trying to get my eyes to look through the toning. I like the golden and copper colors in the hair above the forehead and the tinge of blue on the curls at the bottom. The hair above the ear leads me to believe this is nicely struck but those bagmarks on the cheek prevent me from going any higher than MS61. My true gut feeling is MS60. When I look at the reverse I see numerous distracting marks in the fields. I believe too numerous to merit a higher grade that 61. Hey FortCollins, if you read this please give your opinion of a post about a 1913 T1 Buffalo on another thread. I look forward to reading your critique of that coin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4377 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2021  07:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fenton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Toning may be interesting enough to warrant a premium for this coin. It's developing some nice rainbow colors on the obverse and I love coins that are toned on just one side.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10657 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2021  10:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
the 91(S) are typically sharp so this one is AVG for the year. I'm not a fan of the blotchy toning. some folks are. my problem with this one is that it probably is not going to age well imo. without the toning i'd say MS63. I need to drop it at least a full grade for blotchy surfaces. MS62
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 1,034Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05