Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Wondering If This Is A Variety? Or A Joke?

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 30 / Views: 1,572Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Canada
958 Posts
 Posted 05/06/2021  8:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JohnWayne007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like bullion art most of the time like the 2020 four winds pathfinders puzzle set (really beautiful piece/pieces if nobody here has had the chance to see it), but calling stuff like this a coin and putting a face value on it is just unnecessary IMO. Just the RCM logo and the silver/gold content would be sufficient enough to get collectors attentions.
Aggressively searching Canadian Small Cents on a daily basis since 2018.

Some of my Discoveries.
1941 George VI 1 Cent DDO http://goccf.com/t/367977
1976 Queen Elizabeth II 1 Cent DDO http://goccf.com/t/373627
1970 Queen Elizabeth II 1 Cent DDR http://goccf.com/t/364301
1989 Belize 25 Cent's with a Doubled Die Reverse http://goccf.com/t/362747
Pillar of the Community
Canada
640 Posts
 Posted 05/06/2021  8:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alex A to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I call these "trinkets". RCM is simply producing whatever sells. My only wish is they separate this other stuff out on their website rather than labelling everything a coin.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
2818 Posts
 Posted 05/06/2021  9:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MoneyPenney to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I thought the joke is the seller selling his coins for up to close to double issue price and in US$ to boot.

The prices of his coins are out of whack with market values.
Edited by MoneyPenney
05/06/2021 9:25 pm
Valued Member
United States
132 Posts
 Posted 05/06/2021  9:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Raised on rock to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not even close to being a coin.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1416 Posts
 Posted 05/06/2021  9:48 pm  Show Profile   Check 47P7's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 47P7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nickelsguy & all others

how long do you estimate for "real" Hats to show up from PRoC?
Just kidding... am I ?. If these sell well, they will come.....
H
Edited by 47P7
05/06/2021 9:51 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
4742 Posts
 Posted 05/06/2021  11:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe in future years they will make the entire uniform? I'm waiting for the belt and boots...
I'm by no means a pro and will never claim to be...just my 2 cents
A smile costs nothing to give or receive....GF
If it's not hockey, it's not a sport
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2818 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2021  02:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MoneyPenney to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Maybe in future years they will make the entire uniform? I'm waiting for the belt and boots.

They already have the whole Mountie with last year's sculpture coin.

Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18741 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2021  03:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not a coin although it may have legal status as such.
More like fantasy exonumia.
RCM would never make this sort of Mint product, unless they knew they were able to sell it for a profit. To me, somewhat akin to decorative art fine bone China, in the same class as Royal Doulton fine bone Chinaware figurines.

RCM is becoming more and more like the failed Franklin private Mint.
They are killing their own goose that laid the golden egg.

I have a small solid sterling silver collection. It it is a hallmarked six inch high cast and carved solid silver reindeer stag - it did not come from the RCM. Quite heavy, it weighs a few ounces. Has nothing to do with numisamtics, RCM collector products are trending in the same direction.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6129 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2021  07:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm fine with the RCM producing these items, I just wish they weren't promoted as coins. I agree with AlexA (comment above), items such as this one should be presented separately from the Mint's closer-to-reality coins.

IMO, nearly all modern non-circulating legal tender (NCLT) coins are really medals with symbolic (but otherwise meaningless) denominations on them. For example, how does a denomination of $1.00 make sense for a coin with ~3/4 of an ounce of silver? The "coin's" intrinsic value is higher than its face value and its issue price is even higher! Clearly not a coin using the traditional definition, but I still collect them due to their link to Canada's era of circulating silver coins.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Learn More...
United States
102171 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2021  08:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I agree with AlexA (comment above), items such as this one should be presented separately from the Mint's closer-to-reality coins.
I agree with this as well.

Maybe these sales keep the lights on and doors open so they can make the "real coins," but they could at least alter their marketing a bit.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4742 Posts
 Posted 05/08/2021  12:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Makes me think of that old TV show Candid Camara...I would love to make a video of trying to purschase something using this "coin"
I'm by no means a pro and will never claim to be...just my 2 cents
A smile costs nothing to give or receive....GF
If it's not hockey, it's not a sport
Pillar of the Community
United States
1919 Posts
 Posted 05/08/2021  07:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lets go get a PCGS graded hat.
Valued Member
Learn More...
Canada
481 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2021  12:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vonigohcr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
My only wish is they separate this other stuff out on their website rather than labelling everything a coin.

The French Mint - https://www.monnaiedeparis.fr/en/sh...ive-castings do a good job of selling non-coin products. Available on their site but without legal tender attribution.

From models of RCMP, Hats, Starship Enterprise models, Grizzly Bears, Carousels... It is ridiculous what is being pumped out of the mint as NCLT. Don't misunderstand... I think these objects should exist... there clearly is a market for them... I just don't believe they should have a denomination and the classification of Legal Tender regardless of how useable or unusable they are for cash transactions... Clearly nobody is going to use a $100 gold coin that actually cost over $1,000 to purchase $100 of goods & services but hats, enterprises and carousels go from ridiculous to asinine.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18741 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2021  6:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Try selling overpriced proof silver NCLT mint product back to coin dealers, and all you will get is the silver value.
I know.
I have tried.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2818 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2021  4:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MoneyPenney to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Try selling overpriced proof silver NCLT mint product back to coin dealers, and all you will get is the silver value.
I know.
I have tried.

Depends on what you are selling, if there is demand for the coin. If it is a "hot" coin like the first UFO, first Pysanka, first MC Renewed Silver Dollar, or more recently coins that sold out rapidly like the Multilayer coin or 5 oz Avro Arrow, dealers will happily buy them from you.

But if the coins are from 10,20,30, years when mintages are 10,000, 15,000, 20,000+, dealers are going to pay you bullion because the mint made too many of them and there is not enough demand for them.

Businesses are not charities, they are out to make money so there is no point in buying coins that will just sit on the shelf.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 30 / Views: 1,572Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.34 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05