Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Protecting Zincoln Cents?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 480Next Topic  

United States
22 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2021  10:38 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Tezro128 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
How do you do it? I know it seems rather silly to care about one so much anyway, since most already have a few spots of rot on them straight out of the Mint. I've gotten lucky and found a few ones that were pretty decent, though. Is a 2x2 enough to at least slow down the deterioration?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
10810 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2021  10:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is air attacking the exposed zinc that causes it to rot.
Unless you can find some way of making it air tight, which a 2x2 is not, it will slowly continue to deteriorate.
Learn More...
United States
101990 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2021  10:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The ones in my Dansco album have held up pretty well over the years.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3644 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2021  11:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Its not only the air, its also the humidity. If you find any that are in excellent condition with no zinc zits, a 2 by 2 stored in a safe place with desiccant "should" protect the coins. Especially if the copper coating is intact. But what I've seen is that some that look great will get zinc zits. This could be due to many reasons such as improper copper coating, zinc wasn't properly stored, high humidity. Honestly so many reasons. I personally don't know how many of the Zinc cents will last a long time. Your best bet is to get several rolls and store them separately.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4748 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2021  11:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've had zincolns in Danscos and 2x2s (and coin tubes) for many, many years--never an issue--yet. Of course, my stash is held in a relatively low humidity environment--not a garage in Florida next to the water heater and bags of pool chemicals.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7282 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2021  2:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is why I stopped my Lincoln cent collection after 1982

I don't want to some day find I made a mistake in storing them like I Have other coins in the past despite my efforts to do it right. The other day I noted on a silver proof Kennedy I gave an acetone bath to before putting it in a new 2X2, that there are some black spots on the edge. I am guessing the 2X2 was contaminated despite coming out of a new stack or there are tiny holes in the plastic I had no way of knowing/seeing.

Now the Kennedys are all going into AirTites.
The slabbed Half dollar No FG farce: Download No-FG half vs. Grading Company Claims report here:
https://tinyurl.com/yalrstjz or higher resolution version: https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
Pillar of the Community
United States
2268 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2021  4:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Of course, my stash is held in a relatively low humidity environment--not a garage in Florida

I keep all my coins in an extremely non-humid area, it's so dry where my coins are they barely tarnish - I keep them in Phoenix AZ (It's a 'dry heat') as they say..
Collecting since 1972. Learning from then on
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin
My Dansco 7070 type set coin count: 31/76
My Dansco 8176 Eisenhower dollar Album coin count: 36/36, My Dansco 8166,8167 Kennedy half dollar Album coin count: 198/198
My Dansco 8140,8143-8147 Washington quarter Albums coin count: 423/423
My Dansco 8113,8114 Jefferson nickel Albums coin count: not sure yet
Learn More...
United States
101990 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2021  4:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I keep them in Phoenix AZ
Could have opened with that and I would be like, "Yup!"
Pillar of the Community
United States
2278 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2021  4:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tunnioc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
a 2 by 2 stored in a safe place with desiccant "should" protect the coins.

Yup
Pillar of the Community
United States
2268 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2021  5:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Could have opened with that and I would be like, "Yup!"

Yup, could have but how much fun would that be?

So far we are having a great Spring.. max temp so far only 102 Degrees F. No rain, heck, no clouds to speak of either.

Collecting since 1972. Learning from then on
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin
My Dansco 7070 type set coin count: 31/76
My Dansco 8176 Eisenhower dollar Album coin count: 36/36, My Dansco 8166,8167 Kennedy half dollar Album coin count: 198/198
My Dansco 8140,8143-8147 Washington quarter Albums coin count: 423/423
My Dansco 8113,8114 Jefferson nickel Albums coin count: not sure yet
Pillar of the Community
United States
3727 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2021  8:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KenKat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I keep mine in Dansco albums as well. Not a problem so far. I have added the option slipcase and then put the whole album in a 2 gallon zip lock bag with a desiccant pack thrown in; then additional desiccant packs in the safe for good measure.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17061 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2021  7:01 pm  Show Profile   Check BadThad's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My best coins are in airtites, then in a 2x2, then in a binder page, then in a giant ziplock and that is stored in a tupperware container.

My bulk cents are in square tubes with the lid taped shut. Then I keep those in ziplocks.
Lincoln Cent Lover!
Learn More...
United States
101990 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2021  09:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
My best coins are in airtites, then in a 2x2, then in a binder page, then in a giant ziplock and that is stored in a tupperware container.
You have to see it to really appreciate it..

https://www.coincommunity.com/forum...PIC_ID=22081

Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 480Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.42 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05